Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Vocabulary in Context
Transcript of Vocabulary in Context
running and screaming? In situations like these, you could probably make an inference regarding what is going on in the pictures.
For example...we know that Scooby Doo and his friends usually find themselves being chased by ghosts.
But it is easiest to have an answer when we know the context of the situation. 1. Fish, dolphins, and whales are aquatic animals.
1. If we did not know the word "aquatic", we could look at the animals that are being described and what they have in common. They are not all mammals, but they do all live in the water.
2. Maybe you heard the word "aqua" in the word "aquatic" and you know that it has something to do with the water.
3. By looking at the words AROUND your word, you can infer that the word "aquatic" describes things that live in the water. Given different contexts, or settings, the flowers can be given to her for different reasons. 1. The illicit hunting and capturing of animals has led to outcries from environmental groups determined to stop this illegal practice, a difficult task.
Now let's try defining vocabulary words within the context of a sentence Based on the context of this sentence, what does the word "illicit" mean? How do you know? 2. Unfortunately, these poachers have no qualms about capturing even the most defenseless of animals. They have been known to cage baby cubs without a care. Based on the context of this sentence, what does the word "qualms" mean? How do you know? 2. When we are trying to figure out the context of a word in a sentence. We are looking at the whole sentence as well as the words surrounding our mystery word. "Context" means the situation, background, or setting that helps determine the meaning of a word or situation. For example: Ms. Walchak turns around and sees 2 students talking. Without any context (setting/background knowledge) Ms. Walchak assumes that they are off-task and reminds the students that their eyes should be up front.
WITH context, 1 student had asked the other student to borrow a pencil so that both students could focus ALL of their energy and excitement on learning!
1. When we are figuring out the context (setting/background) of a situation in a story. We are looking at the whole setting as well as character interaction to determine the situation. 2. When we are trying to figure out the context of a word in a sentence. We are looking at the whole sentence as well as the words surrounding our mystery word. What is the context of a word in a sentence? For example: I took the tome off the shelf and opened it to page 94. Then I began to read.
From this example the word "tome" probably means....
Another example: I'm really hungry! That apple didn't appease my hunger. I want a sandwich now.
From this example the word "appease" probably means...
Both students raise their hands, "Ms. Walchak, without any context, we see how you might have thought we were off-task. The context of the situation was that I was asking to borrow a pencil." Now that Ms. Walchak knows the context of the situation, she feels.... What IS the context of a situation? What does figuring out the context of a situation look like? What does figuring out the context of a word in a sentence look like? We see context in 2 different ways: the context of a situation and the context of words in a sentence Context of a situation:
When the setting/background knowledge of an event helps us to understand what is going
on in a particular situation Context of words in a sentence: Finding the meaning of a particular word using the words around it. Context of words in a sentence Context of a situation Definition reminder: When the setting/background knowledge of an event helps us to understand what is going on in a particular situation The woman is smiling because it is her 100th birthday Scooby and his friends are running because they are being chased by a ghost