Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Literacy Interview with Mom
Transcript of Literacy Interview with Mom
Knowledge of the world
Technical Skill What is Literacy? A Bit of History Mom's First Encounters "Literacy is not a context-free, value-neutral set of skills: rather, being literate 'has always referred to having mastery over the processes by means of which culturally significant information is coded' (de Castell & Luke, 1983/1994, p. 374)".
- Kate Williams I was given the opportunity to interview my mom about her literacy experiences, how she's used literacy and technology in her life, and what literacy means to her. But before we begin... Me: Can you tell me about your first reading/writing experience?
Mom: “In kindergarten. Winnie the Pooh? (laughs)” Her mother introduced her to reading and writing
Developed reading first and still prefers it to this day because she's too much of a perfectionist at writing TECHNOLOGY Typewriter
Computer with memory on cassette tape
Computer with word processing software
iPad Does lots of reading
Favorite technology because..
Ease of Use CAREER & LITERACY Me: How has reading and writing affected your career choice?
Mom: “I had to do a lot of reading and writing as an undergraduate. I learn easily reading and hearing, but I’m more visual than I am auditory. Although I do learn from auditory teaching, it takes more effort.” What has she used? Majored in Psychology
Interests in college include student government, French club, skiing and volleyball
Degree in Sworn Translation
Pursuing PhD in Applied Biophysiology
Uses work-related literacy on a daily basis TWO LANGUAGES "The study of words makes the thinking process a lot more efficient. I love the study of words.”
-Raquel Marín Learned to read in English first
Has given her many opportunities
Reads and writes in both languages on a daily basis THANK YOU