Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Present simple and Continuous
Transcript of Present simple and Continuous
In academic writing and speaking, the primary use of the present tense is for factual descriptions.
• Almost a billion people [are speaking]
Mandarin, the official language of the People's Republic of China.
• When you
a substance, its particles
faster, and so
2. Describing processes (often in the passive in academic English) or giving instructions (in the active)
• The fabric
• Then you
3. Summarizing and reporting the main arguments of other academics.
that survivors of tragic events often undergo periods of guilt.
4. Talking about the plots of books, films, etc.
• "Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin
the story of Ellis Lacey, a young woman who
by her family from Ireland to the USA to get a good job.
The Present Continuous
The present continuous is used to describe events or actions that are happening at the moment (now and around now). These might be continuous events/actions or a series of regular events/actions.
• Kayston plc
for a new CEO, after Hugh Alexander's sudden departure.
• Chinese construction companies
a number of major contracts to rebuild Ethiopia's infrastructure.
They include temporary situations and trends in society or the world around us.
Kingston Enterprises, which
from premises in Wandsworth while their new factory outside Cambridge
is being completed
, is one of the UK's leading manufacturers of computer hard drive.
online these days, and the service standards that consumers are rising.
T I P
State verbs such as believe, know, mean, like, prefer, want, belong, own, possess, contain, depend, matter, are usually used in the present simple.
• The Church Commissioner's report indicates that the Church of England [is owning]
around 120,000 acres of rural land.
Circle the correct option.
1. Boston College LOOKS FOR/IS LOOKING FOR an international marketing manager for their overseas recruitment drive.
2. Social enterprises can be defined as those which ARE PLACING/PLACE environmental concerns alongside profit.
3. Monetary policy IS OPERATING/OPERATES by influencing the price at which money is lent.
4. Smartphones ARE ESTABLISHING/ESTABLISH themselves as the dominant mobile device amongst young costumers.
5. David Hare's plays, as Felton (2009) NOTES/IS NOTING, provide actresses with some of the strongest roles in modern drama.
6. According to Broadcasters' Audience Research Board, the average Briton WATCHES /IS WATCHING just over thirty hours of television per week.
7. Most people ARE RECOGNIZING/RECOGNIZE that a respect for the law is the fundamental basis of a civilised society.
8. When a team WORKS/IS WORKING intensively on a project, the team leader should protect them from distraction.
9. Stevens argues that consumers these days ARE PREFFERING/PREFER to do business with companies that have environmentally-friendly policies.
10. Babcock suggests that attitudes to work amongst the young people ARE CHANGING/CHANGE.
1. Describing regular activities
• 49,000 people [are entering]
the underground station at Waterloo every day, during the three-hour morning peak