Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Unlocking Reading Comprehension

No description
by

Gena Hurdle

on 25 February 2015

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Unlocking Reading Comprehension

The Mystery
of Comprehension

Many Parts to Read
ing
Comprehension
Phonics
Phonemic Awareness
Fluency
Vocabulary
automaticity

Devote attention to:
decoding?
constructing meaning?
Repetition is key
Struggling Readers
OR
Readers Who Struggle
predictable text
repeated readings
automated reading
choral reading
readers' theatre

Balanced Literacy Program

Reading aloud
Shared reading
Guided reading
Independent reading
Shared writing
Interactive writing
Guided writing
Independent writing
The GAP continues to widen
our AR report
when does the reading start to fall apart?
Reading Strategies
Characteristics:
-do not fit into one category
-do not have a reading process
-do not have a working system
-neglect to self-monitor
-read word by word
-rely too heavily on one source of info
-invent text or make guesses
-call the words and don't comprehend
-ignore punctuation cues
Meaning
Visual
Structure
CUES
The majority of students at the upper level grades fall into 2 categories of struggling readers:
DECODING
CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING
"Many specialists estimate that a child (or an adult) needs to understand a minimum of 90 percent of the words in a passage in order to understand the passage and thus begin to learn the other 10 percent of the words."
- E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
purposeful
active
can be developed by teaching strategies
modeling
think alouds
receptive
expressive
need repeated exposure
T
T
oral discourse is
CRUCIAL
unknown
Levels of word knowledge
acquainted
established
CC
Speaking
&
Listening
Writing
What's often
OVERLOOKED?
individual sounds
in spoken words
recognize
sounds
isolation
combining
or
blending
segmenting
difficulty with phonemes = difficulty with graphemes
teaches relationships between letters & sounds
How can we best meet our students' needs?
be culturally responsive
TALK
have your students
these relationships will help students recognize familiar words accurately and automatically & "decode" new words
NAEP- 44% of sample of nation's 4th graders were low in fluency
close relationship between fluency and comprehension
AT-RISK
National Reading
Panel
Research says "Systematic and explicit phonics instruction is more effective than non-systematic or no phonics instruction."
direct teaching
defined sequence
"Matthew effect" - those who already have good language understanding will gain more language proficiency, while those who lack initial understanding will fall further and further behind
"Cunningham and Stanovich have shown that under current conditions of American schooling, vocabulary in second grade is a reliable predictor of academic performance in 11th grade."
similar to earning interest
Hart & Risley, 1995-
30 million word gap
215,000
125,000
62,000
Weekly
11.2 6.5 3.2
Yearly
professional
working-class
welfare
So...in 4 years
45 26 13
144,000 fewer encouragements & 84,000
more discouragements than working-class
NWF
non-fiction
integration
close reading
text dependent questions
build background knowledge
MODEL
previewing
predicting
connecting
questioning
visualizing
monitoring
summarizing
Reading Skills
main idea
details
inferences
author's purpose
context clues
organization

repeated
readings
vocab notebooks
word
parts
BLOOM'S
differentiate
thinking maps
APPLYING
UNDERSTANDING
REMEMBERING
CREATING
EVALUATING
ANALYZING
HIGH
expectations
for
ALL
students
no matter
where
they've
come from
no matter
who they
are
word walls K-12
Gena Hurdle
Instructional Coach
Pactolus School

Created By:
Full transcript