Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Patau Syndrome
Patau Syndrome is caused when there is an extra chromosome in chromosome 13. Rather than the usual pair, there is 3. It is not inherited. Patau Syndrome occurs in the sperm that forms the fetus.
Chromosome 13 is affected in this disorder.
The symptoms of Patau Syndrome are...
close set eyes
low deformed ears
extra fingers or toes
Prenatal tests are available for Patau Syndrome although the disorder can not be treated or prevented.
This disorder is found in one in every 10,000 newborns. Males or Females may be affected.
also known as Trisomy 13
The baby, if born alive, will probably not survive past its first birthday. There is no medical treatment that can cure Patau Syndrome.
Genetics Home Reference. Honcode standard, November 2013. Web. 28 March, 2016.
Medline Plus. A.D.A.M inc., 8 Sept. 2013. web. 1 April, 2016
WebMD. National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc. 2011. Web. 1 April, 2016.