Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
American Government Overview
Transcript of American Government Overview
Politics as taboo
Speaker of the House;
Senate Majority Leader
NANZAN UNIVERSITY STUDY OF THE U.S.
US Politics and People
Professor Jim Hoefler, Ph.D.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
9 am - 10:30 am, Denny 317
War Between the States
War of Northern Aggression
Who: Union states vs. Confederate states
Why: Slavery (South's cotton-based economy)
What: 625,000 casualties (600/day; 5% males)
Greatest freedoms and most incarcerations
Greatest wealth amidst abject poverty
North and South -- Slave states and Free states
East Coast and West Coast
Blacks vs. Whites, Hispanics. . . .
Judeo-Christian and others
Republicans -- Red states, Blue states -- Democrats
House -- Senate; Presidency - Congress; Federal government - states - local government
More languages, ethnicities, cultural traditions coexisting under one flag than anywhere else in the world.
Carlisle: Italian: 8; Japanese: 2; Vietnamese: 1; Thai: 2; Belgian: 1; Spanish: 1; British: 1; Chinese: 3; Asian: 3; Bosnian: 2; Mexican: 1; Greek: 2