Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Medrano Middle School AVID Implementation
Transcript of Medrano Middle School AVID Implementation
Voluntary Participation Students in AVID
- Choose AVID as first choice when selecting classes.
- Filled out applications and participated in written interviews.
AVID Site Team
- Each site team member volunteered for the position.
- Newer site team members were recruited and accepted to attend Summer Institute Essential 1
Student Selection are "in the middle"
are low income
are the first in family to attend college
face special circumstance(s)
underrepresented in 4 yr colleges Essential 3
Full Implementation This Year
- 4 fully enrolled AVID elective sections
- Students participate in Field trips, tutorials, team building activities, speakers and WICOR strategies.
- We will expand to 6 AVID elective sections.
- Two 6th grade sections, two 7th grade sections and two 8th grade sections. Essential 4
Academic Rigor Essential 5
Reading &Writing Examples AVID Implementation Medrano Middle School Essential 6 Inquiry EXAMPLES
Costa's Levels of Thinking
Bloom's Taxonomy Questioning Stems
Tutorials Essential 7
Collaboration Essential 8: Tutorials Essential 9
Using AVID Data Essential 10
Available Site District Resources Essential 11
Site Team EXAMPLES: 1. Two Truths, One Lie
2. Learner Survey & Study Ideas
3. Mask-Making and Mask Poem
4. "Secret Cameras"
6. Paper Towers & Balloon Towers
7. Blind Walks
8. Blind Drawings
9. Philosophical Chairs & Debates
10. Life-Saver Cars
11. Medrano M.S. & SMU Scavenger Hunts
12. Career Research & Posters
13. Mock Interviews
14. College Door Decorating
15. Pass-It-On Story Writing TUTORING DAYS: Thursdays & Fridays TUTORS: Jacob Allred: RMIN @ UNT.
Karina Serrato: Education @ UTD. TUTOR TRAINING: Socratic Method
TRF's: Hands-On & Grading
Review of Training Packet
Online Videos - AVID.org & YouTube
Walk-Throughs for Binder Checks & Cornell Notes
Etc.!! TUTORIAL SAMPLE: AVID Weekly Article Analysis
College Research Projects
Career Research Projects
Post Field Trip Reports Collaboration Implementation UTD Field Trip Balloon
Tower World of Tutors/Tutorials 7th Grade tutorial College Door-Decorating College letters SMU
Trip Volunteer Fair at Brookhaven Initial Self Study collaborated and completed as a Site Team.
Certification Self Study collaborated and completed as a Site Team.
MyData Portal information and student grades were used for selection and placement in Algebra/PreAP classes. -Funding for AVID is defined in school budget.
-Site Team plan has been developed.
-AVID is a component of the CIP.
-All site team members have attended Summer Institute. More to attend this summer's institute. 2012-2013 Site Team Members
Alicia Serrato - Coordinator
Leslie Nfodjo - AVID Elective Teacher
Miranda Escobedo - AVID Elective Teacher
Carmon Jones - Counselor
Chris Deinhammer - Administrator
Sarah Grysinski - Math Content Teacher
Toah Huynh - Science Content Teacher
Ericka Norris - ELA Content Teacher Focuses on students that: this is done by: the AVID team going to the feeder elementaries to introduce the program
the students completing applications all AVID students are enrolled in Pre-Ap courses
the expectations are HIGH
students are challenged
study skills strategies
college and career awareness
test taking strategies The AVID class provides: