Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Acid Erosion of Teeth
Transcript of Acid Erosion of Teeth
of the teeth
What it is?
·Acid erosion or tooth erosion is when tooth enamel is worn away by everyday substances
·The enamel is then temporarily softened after ingesting the acidic foods
can be used to measure how acidic the food you are eating is
The ph scale
Anything under the number seven on the ph scale is considered acidic
- Anything above seven is considered
to be high in alkaline or basic
- Foods closest to seven
are neutral meaning they
are good because they aren't
too acidic and they aren't too
high in alkaline
- Acids are useful when preserving foods because harmful micro organisms cannot survive in them
-Most canned foods and those that can sit on store shelves for days have a high acid content
Fruits & Vegetables
- Corn, Lentils, Beans, Olives, Winter Squash, Blueberries, Canned or Glazed Fruits, Cranberries
Not all erosion causing foods are acidic
, there are foods that contain a high content of alkaline that are destructive
-Alkaline is the opposite of acidic and consists of many vegetables
- Bacon, Beef, Fish, Lamb, Lobster, Pork, Sausage, Shrimp, Tuna, Turkey
- Butter, Cheese, Ice Cream
- Corn syrup, Sesame oil, Sunflower oil, Corn oil, Olive oil
Fruits & Vegetables
- Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumber,
Garlic, Onions, Peas, Apples, Apricot, Strawberries, Raspberries, Peach, Tangerines
-Drinks can have an effect on erosion on the teeth too
-Alcohol, Soft drinks and citrus fruit juices start to eat away at your teeth when there is direct contact
How To Prevent Acid Erosion
- Soft and acidic drinks can be drunk through a straw, this way the drink isn't coming in complete contact with your teeth
- Don't swish acidic drinks in your mouth when you take a drink, try to swallow them right away
Brushing Your Teeth
- Brushing your teeth is essential to keeping your teeth healthy and clean
- You should avoid brushing your teeth immediately after you eat or drink acidic foods because your teeth are more vulnerable to thinning enamel so when you brush them you are brushing away some of the enamel
A few tips to help prevent acid erosion...
5. Use fluoride toothpaste to strengthen your teeth.
-Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and re-mineralizes tooth decay and acids are less able to damage tooth enamel strengthened by fluoride.
Ingesting everyday substances causes acid erosion/tooth erosion.
This is generally caused by acidic and alkaline substances.
Avoid acid erosion of the teeth by:
- Waiting after eating to brush your teeth with a SOFT tooth brush and fluorine tooth paste
- Chew gum to increase saliva flow which helps to restore enamel
- Swallowing substances right away so they don't have time to get to your teeth
. The worn away enamel exposes the dentine in our teeth; this is what causes our teeth to appear yellow even sometimes brown
is one of the main causes of tooth erosion.
- Go to the dentist to insure a healthy smile
This occurs chemically when acidic content hits the tooths surface.
Certain medications like aspirin or vitamin C tablets, highly acidic foods, and frequent vomiting from bulimia or alcoholism(WebMD) can be an added cause to tooth erosion?
Did You Know?
ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and most vinegars, including balsamic
Did You Know?
- Hard toothbrushes are more harsh on your teeth so try a soft tooth brush
Rinse your mouth with water right after having acidic foods or drinks , this helps to remove some of the acid.
Finish a meal with a glass of milk or piece of cheese to neutralize acids(WebMD).
Chew sugar-free gum with xylitol, which reduces acids from foods and drinks. Chewing gum also increases saliva flow, which helps prevent enamel erosion because saliva strengthens teeth with key minerals.
Use a soft toothbrush and avoid brushing too aggressively.