Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Zero to STEM in 3 years
Transcript of Zero to STEM in 3 years
Let it work!!!!!
So how do you tweak to STEM?
Add high level labs at all levels
Have kids research and present
Provide support with $$
Let Lead Horses Run
Why Not PLTW Biology?
1. We had home grown success, let it grow....it costs less
2. Small schools cannot do it all elective wise, too many options will kill programs
3. College readiness still requires students to be ready in core science areas.
Let the students Choose
For 2011-12 we added PLTW Engineering
For 2012-13 we added Video Game Programming
Zero to STEM in 3 years
Step #1 Assess
Evaluate your existing programs, what is working, what needs tweaks, what needs overhauled.
Arrived at LHS Fall of 2011
Lakeside High School
500 students, Athletic Level "A", 28%FRL
Focus on Science - Math - CTE
At LHS our Math scores were on the rise,
the department had been through changes
Keep it working and enhance
How - Hire when possible and be picky
Enhance - provide PD time together
Reward - give them resources
What needs tweaks?
-Great teachers, teaching well
- Full slate of offerings and
1 section, 18-26 kids, application science,
partnerships, research, presentation, CTE,
articulated, involve community
Anatomy and Physiology
2 sections, 40-60 kids, application science,
filed trips, guest speaker with each unit,
connecting with professionals
Science Summary - Tweaked Biotech, enhanced A&P, added AP Biology, strongly encourage
chemistry for all, added technology and labs to
9th and 10th science classes
Courses Offered in 2011:
3 sections of Beginning Woods/Cabinetry/furniture, Engineering 1&2, Prostart, Sewing, Ind. Living, Web Design, Photoshop, Flash, marketing, accounting, and 5-6 sections of info processing
Courses Offered in 2014:
1 sections of Beginning Woods/Adv Woods, Marketing, Journalism/social media, Entrepreneurship, Photoshop, 2 sections of Info Processing, Game Programming 1&2, Mobile App Programming, PLTW IED, POE, CIM, and Capstone
What is your class relic?
Student driven scheduling and master schedule
YOUR SCHEDULE IS HOW YOU
DELIVER YOUR MISSION!!!!
How do you deal with current teaching staff -
MONEY and SUPPORT
-Where is your school board on STEM?
-Equal vs. Equitable
What do you have that just isn't relevent?
Why is it still there?