Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Developing competence to work and live in the multiverse
Transcript of Developing competence to work and live in the multiverse
Case: The nuclear power plant
We try to explain the alien through the lenses of own culture
The mix of power differences and different cultural preferences is potentially catastrophic.
European embassy in South - Africa
Elder role in Africa (Zimbabwe, Lord)
Belgian boss in swedish IT team.
dancing with the new CEO at infrastucture management company.
Look for the 5 master suppression techniques: ridicule, invisible, shame and blame, withholding information, double punishment,
show the soles of your shoes,
how to exchange visit cards,
silences and interruptions,
break a party in pairs or maintain the collective, ritualized collectivization or ritualized pair-building
... "fun" books like "Xenophobe's guide to ..."
Some swedish cases:
chefens höjda ögonbryn,
¿ska man resonera med barn före 8 års ålder?
Symptoms of Culture Shock!
(vary in depth and intensity)
Build an enclave
What about them?
What about culture and
me (us) as
Culture is to society what character is to the individual.
You don't notice until you are challenged or are out of it.
- Share any strange/embarrassing behaviors and/or strange/embarrassing reactions to your behaviors that you have met in your work.
- Which behaviors give the highest status in this organization?
Situations where I feel stress when I am the ALIEN. (fight/flight/freeze)
Situations where I feel stress when I meet the ALIEN (fight/flight/freeze)
Which behaviors challenge values I/we hold dear?
Which values are non-negotiable for me/us?
individualism - collectivism,
achievement/success - caring/wellbeing
long term - short term
high context - low context
secular/rational - traditional/emotioonal,
indulgence - restraint
self expression - survival
The World Values Survey:
WVS - Happiness
WVS - Trust
(linear cause and effect)
(complex cause / effect)
(contact causes chage)
Exposure - FEAR
(sacrifices and offerings)
and love cause change