Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Nordic Paradox
Transcript of The Nordic Paradox
Focus on Finland
Finland: focus on STEM
gender equality in science: from issues to a solution
Paola Elefante, www.paolaelefante.com
21.3.2016 @ annual meeting of Helsingin Tutkijanaiset ry
Women have better education and work more.
People with a university degree
People with a PhD degree
Higher rate of
for no pay.
Public perception is that women have only
chance of rising to positions of leadership compared to men.
people on boards of listen companies are women.
In Finland, on average women earn
less than men. EU average is 16.4% (2013)
Demand from institutions
Push for women representation
Network & support
Examples in Mathematics and Physics
Professors in Mathematics in Finland
Report at HY
No serious actions
Jenny Vainio, 2012
situation in Physics in Finland.
Gendered environment, sexual harassment, disregard of family responsabilities.
You can't be what you can't see.
- Marie Wilson, Founder of The White House Project.
to students and young people
female students or
to seminars and events
Updated and regular
on gender issues
of women in boards
and hiring processes.
of local women
women in science