Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
ENL & WIDA
Transcript of ENL & WIDA
(World Class Instructional Design and Assessment)
What is WIDA?
What are LEP services?
How can I help my ELLs?
Who can help me service my ELLs?
copy and paste as needed and take advantage of an infinite canvas!
What is WIDA?
Old Service Model
How to Use WIDA Scores
- State Standards for English Language Acquisition
- Can-Do Descriptors
- W-APT and ACCESS 2.0
How to decipher an ELP
The language of Money $$
Social Language can be acquired in 1-3 years
Academic language may take 12 years of more
Cultures plays a huge role in language
How much time do you think teachers talk compared to students in an average class period?
First Floor...or...First Floor?
Students tended to remain LEP
100% Core instruction with regular certified teacher
lessons are differentiated
Teacher uses visual support and encourage increased conversation
ENL students' assignments and products may be modified
YOU ARE THE LEP SERVICES FOR YOUR ELLS
KENDRA COX - LEP SPECIALIST 6-12
JUANITA GONZALEZ - FAMILY/STUDENT LIAISON
JODI TOGIAI - INSTRUCTIONAL COACH
PAT NEILSON - LEP SPECIALIST K-5
Some of the services we offer:
* One-on-one classroom assistance
- sit with low level ELLs to assist in understanding teacher instruction
* Help make appropriate accommodations for specific ELLs
* Find resources for you
* Do home visits
* Provide you with leveled reading material
- English as a New Language
-English Language Learner
-Limited English Proficiency
-English as a Second Language
USED TO HELP TEACH INDIVIDUAL ELLS MORE EFFICIENTLY & DETERMINE PASS/FAIL
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO GIVE SUFFICIENT TIME TO OUR ELLS TO THINK BEFORE SPEAKING?
Turn to a partner and tell them about what you did this summer or your favorite vacation.
Now repeat the process but...
DO NOT USE
-n or -s
DISTRICT WEBPAGE TEACHERS RESOURCES
* LEP RESOURCES LIVEBINDER
Brindis; TOcT; ci...
Consider Proficiency levels and culture when...
Assessing formally or informally
Can Do Statements
This is the key academic content that the student needs to know by the end of the lesson/unit. (This will not change)
This refers to the purpose for which speech or writing is being used. (i.e. to inform, analyze, compare, order, classify, infer, justify, solve, etc.)
Whatever sensory, graphic, or interactive supports you plan on using to help your student accomplish the task at hand.
(see Classroom Supports handout)
5 Things You Can Do For Your ELLs Now
1) Modify assignments and exams
2) Talk to your ELL's about how they feel about the instruction in your class. Follow up immediately after giving an elaborate assignment and ask them if they understood the instructions.
3) Give them time to submit the project. This gives them more time to produce the language as well as build confidence.
4) Let the BHS Counselors or Juanita know if you have any concerns about a student. Whether they seem extremely low or you need to contact the parents.
5) Stay positive about the situation. There is nothing that can change it, but with collaboration, we can make it easier for you.
How to Make Toast