Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
To Kill a Mockingbird
Transcript of To Kill a Mockingbird
-Small town-majority white, middle class; small, black quarters outside of town
*Just outside the Great Depression-the stock market crashed in 1929, and farmers were greatly affected
History of the South in the 1930s
*The white population was extremely racist. They had a feeling of superiority and empowerment over the black population.
*In the South, there was a lot of "old" money-many families came from plantation money. Their last name created a "reputation" for them in the town, and the longer the name was passed down from generation to generation, the higher the status within the town. The Finch last name has been passed down for many years.
*The farmer's children would come from the farms to go to school; however, many would leave early to return to work on the farms.
Black People in the South-1930s
*Most black men worked on farms for very little money.
*Women worked for the weathier families, taking care of the children, cleaning houses and cooking for families.
*Most black people were treated as the "help," and there was very little respect.
*Few white families respected the black people that worked for them. It all depended on how s/he was raised.
Why was there so much hate?
-Jim Crow Laws were in place. The Jim Crow Laws stated that black people were "separate but equal."
This means that blacks could not:
*Use the same water fountains as the white people
*Go to the same schools
*Ride in the same rail cars
*Sit in the same waiting rooms
*Use the same bathrooms
*Eat in the same restaurants
This gave the white people superiority over the black population
Black School Room
To Kill a Mockingbird
The History of the 1930s
Harper Lee based the
court trial in To Kill a Mockingbird on the Scottboro trial-
What is similar between the two?
1. In the book, Atticus Finch, a white, prominent lawyer, defends a young black man, Tom Robinson, accused of rape. In the Scottsboro case, a white lawyer represented the young nine men after he believed they were not receiving a fair trial.
2. Black man/men are accused of raping a white woman/women
3. Unfair trials-all white juries