Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Intro to Anarchist Thinkies
Transcript of Intro to Anarchist Thinkies
Critique of State Communism and Socialism
- Against all unjustified hierarchy
Intro to Anarchist Thinkies
- bottom up federations
- direct action
- horizontal power
- autonomy/self determination
- particiaptory democracy
trees and forests
What is Anarchism?
"The Liberty Tree is a great banyan, whose branches cross and weave, touching earth in many places to form a horizontal, interconnected grove of new trunks."
-Maia Ramnath, Decolonizing Anarchism
“Many people say that government is necessary because some men cannot be trusted to look after themselves, but anarchists say that government is harmful because no men can be trusted to look after anyone else.”
“Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners.”
― Edward Abbey
“One can throw away a chair and destroy a pane of glass; but those are idle talkers and credulous idolaters of words who regard the state as such a thing or as a fetish that one can smash in order to destroy it. The state is a condition, a certain relationship between human beings, a mode of behavior; we destroy it by contracting other relationships, by behaving differently toward one another. One day it will be realized that Socialism is not the invention of anything new, but the discovery of something actually present, of something that has grown.... We are the state, and we shall continue to be the state until we have created the institutions that form a real community and society of men.”
“The issue is not whether people are "good enough" for a particular type of society; rather it is a matter of developing the kind of social institutions that are most conducive to expanding the potentialities we have for intelligence, grace, sociability and freedom.”
― Paul Goodman
Anarchism acknowledges the tension between individual and collective freedom...and seeks to embrace both
Anarchism proposes direct democracy at each level of society.
-Fully Recallable Spokes People
-Accountability to policy created at base levels of society
-Coordinating body representatives directly elected from those impacted by policies
-Bottom up control
- No interest banks
- Compete on a market
Property is Theft!
- Wages decided by work and community councils
- Paid by hours worked
- products go into collective stores where you redeem goods with the labor notes
- money can not be hoarded
- abolishes wage labor
- goods are distributed based on need
- negates the concept of ownership in favor of usage
- Workers control of workplace.
- Coordinated by worker councils created by workers.
- Organization of the total production by the industrial and agricultural alliances.
- Organization of consumption by local Labor Cartels.
- Based in ecological principles (cooperation, reciprocity, mutual aid, diversity etc.)
- Environmental problems are based on social problems of domination
- Community council based systems
- Focus on community struggle outside of workplace.
3.2 million people
2.5 million people