Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Interactions between milk production, heat stress, and ferti
Transcript of Interactions between milk production, heat stress, and ferti
Alex Souza, DVM PhD
Does level of milk production
affect cow's tolerance to heat stress?
Previous research findings
milk production/core body temp
Materials and methods
Recorded core body temperature every 10 min
Conclusions & comments
field fertility & milk prod
Multiparous < 28K milk production
Multiparous >31K milk production
Cows with greater milk production:
- Have greater dry matter intakes
- Have higher metabolism rates
- Lactating cows > body temp than dry
- Greater milk production > body temp
ref: West et al. 2003, Liang et al. 2013
> Milk production = > core body temperatures
Need to cool cows to match their production level...
> Milk cows under heat stress for longer periods
Core body temperature cows in Brazil, US, and Middle East