Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Social Media for Communicators
Transcript of Social Media for Communicators
Welcome to Blogging & Social Media
So what is Social Media?
"A group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, which allows the creation and exchange of user-generated content." - Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein
Why do you use social media?
connect with friends/family
find lost friends
Want to know what the fuss was all about
expand my business
Keep up with news and/or trends
A few things I tell people about Twitter
Choose a short username.
Include a bio and a photo.
140 characters are all you get.
Mix it up.
Do unto others..., e.g. RT, #FF.
Engage in conversation, but do not dominate it.
Use hashtags, e.g. #umc
Photo courtesy of http://socialmediaplans.com/
A few things I tell people about Facebook
"Like" and comment on people's status updates, posts, notes, photos, videos, etc.
Tag photos, people, places.
Birthdays are one of the best things about being on FB.
Status updates are limited to 420 characters.
Don't overload people's newsfeeds.
Get to know the various security settings.
A "few" general social media guidelines to remember....
1) Social media is a tool.
2) It's all about conversations and relating with others-- not a one-way street
3) Just because it is on the Internet does not make it true or free.
4) Keep it short 'n sweet.
5) Make it human but not TOO personal.
6) What you put out on the Internet remains on the Internet.
7) You get out of it what you put into it.
8) Be aware of safety/security issues.
9) Do unto others.....
10) BE YOU!
What do you want to accomplish?
Who is your primary audience?
types of topics?
types of content?
How often will you post?
Do you have specific goals?
Kaplan, Andreas M.; Michael Haenlein (2010). "Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of Social Media". Business Horizons 53 (1): 59–68. doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003.
Your strategic plan
links to articles
Helpful Social Media Tools
Find a Community
Capture and Share a Moment
Tell Your Story
Keep Finger on the Pulse
Stay in Touch
Know Your Influence
Admire as much as you can, most people don't admire enough - Vincent Van Gogh, letter to Theo
1) Take an index card
2) Write down a question or something you expect to learn
3) Leave it on the end of the table
4) Use as many as needed
Thanks for watching
1. Think about a recent global event. How did word get out about this?
2. What made the message understandable? Relevant?
3.What was the call to action?
4. What can groups take away from this case?