Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
5 Keys to Publishing Your Academic Article
Transcript of 5 Keys to Publishing Your Academic Article
"Do Your Homework"
1. Match the interest of the journal
2. Impact factor
3. Acceptance percentage
4. Rejection as a strategy
5. Length of article
6. Speed of response time
7. Reach out to the editor
8. Open Access v. subscription based
5 Keys to Publishing Your Academic Paper
College of Management, June 12, 2018
Help Academic Scholars Publish their Research
Why Is It So Difficult?
Reasons Articles are Rejected
2. Writing Your Paper
4. Write a Winning Cover Letter
Why is it important?
1. Write with your target audience in mind
2. Write concisely (especially in Arabic and Hebrew)
3. Follow the style guide
4. Create your reference list as you go along (reference software)
5. Do your own peer review
6. Write a fantastic abstract
1. It fails the technical screening.
2. It does not fall within the aims and scope.
3. The procedures or analysis are seen as defective.
4. Its conclusions aren't justified.
5. It is simply an extension of a different paper.
6. It's incomprehensible.
***list taken from Peter Thrower, 'Eight reasons I rejected your article', https://www.elsevier.com/connect/8-reasons-i-rejected-your-article
Not All Research Budgets Are Created Equal
Knowledge of a specific academic field ----> consistent and well paid client base ---> steady flow of work.
Gain knowledge doing respectable work which expands your knowledge.
Your value will keep clients loyal and allow you to charge what you want.
Spread your research to a global audience
Maximize your impact
Career and promotion
The Top 10 Countries in the World in % R&D Spending Per GDP:
2) South Korea
10) United States
Novel Thesis/ Ideas
3. Professional Translation and Editing Services
When Translation Just Isn't Enough
A Word About ALE
But academics don't have money....
5. Responding to Reviewer's Critique
lways be polite
e open to suggestions
ritique the critique?
stablish if it is a revise and resubmit or rejection
ollow up with the journal editors
Always send a finished paper
Give specific instructions regarding the level of intervention
Provide all formatting and style guidelines
Prepare a glossary of key terms
Write in your native tongue
Check funding opportunities
Give the language expert time
An English speaking colleague or neighbor is not enough
All translations need editing/ revision
Only work with native speakers with specific academic experience
Ask for samples, see if they have published previously
Biographical information (name, position, university)
Title of the paper
Questions about process or time
A summary of your research
Be realistic - 80% of articles are rejected.
Preparing Your Research for Translation/ Editing
Abc's of Professional Communication