Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
LS- MH-CH. 1 - PART 1 - INTRO. LIFE SPAN DEVELOPMENT
Transcript of LS- MH-CH. 1 - PART 1 - INTRO. LIFE SPAN DEVELOPMENT
1. Development is lifelong
2. Development is multi-dimensional..
biological, cognitive, socio-emotional
3. Development is multi-directional-expands, shrinks
4. Development has plasticity
5. Developmental Science is Multidisciplinary
6. Development is Contextual - family, schools, work
7. Development involves growth, maintenance, regulation of loss.
8. Development is co-construction of Biology,Culture, and the Individual
Focus on the degree to which development involves gradual,
cumulative change (continuity)
or distinct stages (discontinuity.
l s - ch. 1 - part 1 - INTRODUCTION LIFE SPAN PSYCHOLOGY
3 DOMAINS of HUMAN DEVELOPMENT:
Nature is that which is inherited/genetic.
Nurture refers to all environmental influences after conception, i.e. experience.
DEVELOPMENTAL RESEARCH DESIGNS:
Cross-sectional Designs-compares the performances of people of different age groups or cohorts- Millennials and Boomers - Computer Usage, What is Important in Life....
Longitudinal Designs- study of individuals over a lengthy period of time - Terman's study of gifted individuals.
Sequential Designs - Combo of the cross-sectional design and the longitudinal design.
1. Conducting Culturally Sensitive Research
2. Protecting the rights of research participants through informed consent, debriefing, protection from harm, and confidentiality.
Psychology – the scientific study of the behavior of individuals and their mental processes.
Development – Systematic changes and continuities in the individual that occur
between conception and death
(womb to tomb - prenatal to death)
8 PERIODS OF
THE LIFE SPAN
1. PRENATAL - Conception to Birth
2. INFANCY - 1st two years of life
3. EARLY CHILDHOOD - Ages 2-6
4. MIDDLE CHILDHOOD - Ages 7-12 (until onset of puberty)
5. ADOLESCENCE - Ages 12-20
6. EARLY ADULTHOOD - Ages 20-40
7. MIDDLE ADULTHOOD-Ages 40-6
8. LATE ADULTHOOD- Ages 60+
Developmental Scientists Face Special Challenges: 1. They must conduct studies in a variety of ecological contexts
2. They must be culturally sensitive.
3. They must adhere to standards of ethical research.
THE M & M EXPERIMENT TERMINOLOGY: Hypothesis, Control Group, Experimental Group, Variable, Independent Variable, Dependent Variable, Stable Variables, Replication (Refer to the Wiki page entitled M & M Experiment)
Life Span Development