Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Advocacy Presentation
Stephanie Showalter Otts
Director, National Sea Grant Law Center
University of Mississippi School of Law
None of Us are "Neutral"
Science is Often
"Politicized" - And Not Just by Politicians
Best Practice: Non-advocacy
Honest Brokers of
Science Can't Tell
Us What to Do
Dismissing Other Voices
What do we want our communities to look like?
How much risk are we willing to accept?
What do our personal and religious beliefs suggest as the proper course?
WHY? - Values!
Science Can Only
Does Sea Grant
Depends on your interpretation of the definition of Advocacy!
The act or process of
supporting a cause or
Are SG Focus Areas Causes?
Arguing morals through science.
Scientific Assertion X Implies Policy Response Y.
Protect Your Credibility
And Your Job!
NOAA Code of Scientific Conduct
Clarify and Expand the Scope of Choice
Available to Decision-Makers
Place scientific understandings in context:
Alternative possible courses of action
Especially useful when:
Lack of value consensus and