Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
How to Start a Job Search...or What Do I Do with this Ph.D.?
Transcript of How to Start a Job Search...or What Do I Do with this Ph.D.?
or, What Can I Do With a Ph.D.?
Identify interests, skills, & values
Find jobs that correlate to these interests, skills, & values
Identifying your interests
Identifying your skill set
Interests & Skills
Identifying your values
There are multiple ways to assess your interests, below is a short questionnaire that begins to explore the areas of interest that can affect a job search. Additionally, there are multiple skills/interest assessments on line; you’ll have to pay for some of the better ones, but you can also contact the campus career center for more help.
Work preference assessment
Career Center on Campus
What skills do you bring to the table?
Identify the skills required for your career
in your resume/CV
Summary of Qualifications
Attain skills needed
This exercise focuses on identifying skills associated with a single activity
Work in small groups (2-3)
You can also identify your skills by reflecting on
- the outside activities you enjoy
- positive feedback you've received
- the times you feel most confident and capable
What matters to you in a job environment?
Putting it all together....
Look at the job advertisements provided & choose one that looks interesting to you
1. Does your skill set match the required skills for the job?
2. If you are lacking a skill, could you do something to attain it?
1. Does this job fulfill your top three values?
2. How many of your values does it fit?
1. How would you structure your CV/resume to highlight your transferable skills?
2. Would an overview of your qualifications be helpful?
You can also use this method to prepare for a type of job, rather than a specific job announcement
Michelle Brooks, Ph.D.
Biological Sciences Grad Program
NIH post doc positions
For STEM positions
: follow @BISIumd
Next Gen PhD: A Guide to Career Paths in Science
Melanie V. Sinche, Harvard University Press, 2016
Career Assessment Tools
(lots of career planning tools, UMD students)
University of Wisconsin IDP
(tailored to STEM grad students
Chronicle of Higher Education
: Job advertisements, career development tools & blog
Inside Higher Ed
: Job advertisements for academic and al-ac jobs
University of Maryland Graduate School
(Dr. Susan Martin)
For events: http://gradschool.umd.edu/calendar
Work in groups of 2