Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

YKAMP :)

No description
by

maureen david

on 12 August 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of YKAMP :)

Group ONE
MAGALANG
a. Toponym
b. Town History
c. Map
d. Festivals and Rituals
e. Memorable Kapampangan
ARAYAT
a. Toponym
b. Town History
c. Map
d. Festivals and Rituals
e. Memorable Kapampangan
a. TOPONYM
b. TOWN HISTORY
Magalang was established by Augustinians in 1605, its original site was a place called Macapsa which later transferred to San Bartolome. As early as 1660, Magalang was only one of 15 towns in the province to have an Augustinian church and convent to administer to the spiritual need of the residents. Its first prior was Fr. Gonzalo de Salazar.
Magalang is one of the most ancient towns of Pampanga at the western side of majestic Mount Arayat, under the governorship of Pedro Bravo de Acuña. There are the ‘galang-galang’ bracelet biscuits that kids could wear and eat—maybe they were popular enough to give the town its name. Possibly from the place called Magelang in Indonesia.
Landmarks
Established by the Augustinians at Macapsa in 1605. Scene of the encounter between the followers of Andres Malong led by Melchor de Vera and the Spanish troops in 1660. Moved to San Bartolome in 1734. Swept by the Parua River in the flood of 1863. Re-established in Barrio San Pedro on 13 December 1863 by Gobernadorcillo Pablo M. Luciano. The Revolutionary Government took over, 12 June 1898 until 5 November 1899 when the Americans succeeded. Occupied by the Japanese, 3 January 1942. Liberated by the Americans, 24 January 1945. Turned over to the Republic of the Philippines, 4 July 1946.
ING MACADUKIT QNG TANDA
Location
Political Map
Magalang is located in the upper part of Pampanga. According to the February 24, 2012 census, it has a population of 98,595 people in 15,257 households.
Named in memory of the beloved mayor of Magalang who was assassinated at the said plaza during the "Mountain Side" celebrations. The town plaza serve as the venue for public, social and religious events. A simple and austere commonwealth celebrations was held
Landmarks
THE TOWN PLAZA (now the Benedicto T.Dayrit Park)
Landmarks
Built by Fr. Ramon Sarriondia. According to some sources, he laid the foundations of the new stone church in 1866. He left it almost completely finished. Fr. Baltazar Camara completed the facade and the tower in 1875. Fr. Fernando Vasquez, put the finishing touches. Fr. Toribio Fanjul renovated the flooring of the church and the sacristy in 1891.The three-aisled church is made of stone and wood. It measures 55 meters long, 24 meters wide and seven meters high. It belongs to the Tuscan order. The wooden columns supporting the lateral aisles were replaced with cement posts after 1899 Fil. priest Fr. Manalo.
The original site of the municipal building was donated by Capitan Pablo Luciano y David, who was then the Gobernadorcillo. The first building or "Tribunal" as it was called, was built high and consisted of one story. In 1896, the building was reconstructed and it was built low but also of one story. In 1923 an additional land was donated by Don Andres J. Luciano. Don Luis Dizon, a pharmacist donated 1/3 of his property
for the construction of the building.
Landmarks
Municipal Building
The first private secondary school in Magalang was established by civic minded citizens in 1946. The school produced prominent citizens, government officials, employees and businessmen.
Landmarks
Magalang Institute
Started as "Granja Modelo" in 1885 by the Spaniards, later named "Estacion Pecuria" until 1898, thereafter, Magalang Farm School and in 1954 Pampanga National Agricultural School, and at present Pampanga Agricultural College.PAC with its rich history that spans more than a hundred years once known as Magalang Farm School stands as one of the finest institutions of agricultural learning in the country, at the forefront of countryside development now on the bunk of universityhood.
Landmarks
Pampanga Agricultural College
Three watchtowers were built during the Spanish Regime. At present only two exists. The Sta. Cruz and San Isidro watchtowers. The said towers were used as batiauan to watch the coming of the enemies.
Landmarks
Batiauan (Watchtower)
There are four bells rotary from the foundry (fundicion) of Hilario Sunico, Jaboneros no. 19 and no. 20, Binondo, Manila.
Landmarks
Church Bellfry
Church
In 1916, the present public school building was constructed. It started with few rooms and as years passed, many rooms were constructed. During the war, the school was slightly damaged but was reconstructed from War Damage Funds and civic minded people of the town. Today, this school has impressive buildings and beautifully landscaped.
Landmarks
Magalang Central School
MABALACAT
a. Toponym
b. Town History
c. Map
d. Festivals and Rituals
e. Memorable Kapampangan
d. FESTIVALS AND TRADITIONS
Secular and Religious Festivals
Santacruzan and Flores de Mayo
May is the month of many barrio fiestas in the town of Magalang but it is more known with Santacruzan and Flores de Mayo. However, the Kapampangan version is different in that the procession is halted several times by costumed actors who challenged the Reina Elena in a poetic battle and engage her troop in a swordfight derived from the yesteryear’s moro-moros, hence the name “Sabat Santacruzan”
The Tagalogs has the komedya or moro-moro while the Kapampangans has the kumidya. In the town of Magalang, the people prepare for the performance of the kumidya participated by local folks.The story was written by Tereso Mallari, a native of the town and assisted by Dionisio Mercado.
Secular and Religious Festivals
Kumidya
When Magalang was transferred to its present site, people brought with them their patron saint. The town fiesta, observed on August 24, is the feast day of San Bartolome . This special day is being shared with “Balen A Melakuan”in San Bartolome, now a barangay of Concepcion in the province of Tarlac.
Secular and Religious Festivals
Fiesta
Secular and Religious Festivals
Kamaru Festival
It is celebrated every month of August in line with the feast day of their patron saint St. Bartholomew. The said festival is a blend history of history festivals and festivities in the municipality.
Culinary Specialties
Before the Spaniards came the Kapampangan already know how to cook. They plant crops and raise different kinds of animals. The town of Magalang has a lot of sugar mills for that reason they can make their own sugar and vinegar. The place became popular for their sweet delicacies and other desserts.
Culinary Specialties
Tamales
Culinary Specialties
Puto at Kutsinta
Culinary Specialties
Kalame
Culinary Specialties
Panara
e.MEMORABLE KAPAMPANGAN
Artists / Administrator
A writer became also a Chief of Police and two term mayor of the town. He wrote at least four novels: Cadena de Amor (Chain of Love), Bubug a Lamat (Cracked Crystal), Rosang Alang Suksuk (Rose without Thorns), and Ernesto, Ing Gitarista (Ernesto, the Guitarist). Coming from a rice-producing town, Magalang, Navarro’s setting for his novels is often the rural areas.
Jose M. Navarro
Artists / Administrator
Jose Guzman Munoz
A contemporary of Jose Gallardo, a poet and writer, became a poet laureate but his works were destroyed after his death. After several years of searching for his work, one novel was found in one of the old houses in Magalang, ING LUA NING SINTA.
Artists / Administrator
Has made poetry his expression of lofty thoughts, even when away from his Kapampangan haunts amidst western culture in the U.S.A., his kapampangan soul seeks expression in kapampanganpoetry.
Poems written by W. Guzman:
Ing Napun ku Ngeni't Bukas, Mamun na kung mag Sundalus, Ing Landas, Ing ditak kung kamalayan king istorya ning Magalang, Ing Pastul.
Wenceslao Pineda Guzman
Artists / Administrator
One of the publishers of PINANARI - A KAPAMPANGAN AND ENGLISH MAGAZINE IN 1940,
Avelino Meneses
Artists / Administrator
An educator, nun and community organizer. Mother Milagros founded the Assumpta Technical High School in 1970 in San Simon, Pampanga. Her goal was to provide children of poor farmers with an affordable Catholic and technical education. She became a star of hope to the many farmers, teachers and students.
Sister Milagros Dayrit R.A.
Sports
Edgardo Ocampo
Star athlete son of Fernando Ocampo and Loudes Luciano was a member of national basketball team that played in 4 olympics.
a. TOPONYM
People say that the name originated from a Spanish encomiendero, Fernando de Arayat who governed the location during the Spanish era. His birthplace was in Spain called “Arayat” but this claim is debatable due to some researches conducted.

An unknown researcher says that the early natives had transformed the name to “Daya”. Then it became “Dayat” derived from the word “dayatan” that means dry season rice crop.


a. TOPONYM
A contemporary researcher believes that Mt. Arayat and the biblical Mt. Ararat, were Noah’s Ark landed are one of the same thing which town was named. This does not account for the etymological background of the present name  and does not explain why another Mt. Ararat exixts in the Middle East.
Another one is that it was formerly known as “Alaya” (east in english). Then bundok Alaya or eastern mountain pertaining to the inactive volcano, Mt. Arayat.
b. TOWN HISTORY
b. TOWN HISTORY
Historically speaking, the exact date of Arayat's foundation is still unknown. Definitely, the town was reported to be one of the thriving settlements of Pampanga between 1335 to 1380. One chronicler alleges that Prince Balagtas or his son Araw (Lord) malangsic (rulers of the madjapahit empire) was the founder of Arayat. At that time,it occupied what is today barrio Palinlang and was called balayan ning pambuit.).

Another account mentions such names as Jose Carlos Garcia,Macapagal, Simbulan, Lapira and Maria Vinas as the early pioneers of Arayat. By 1571, Arayat was one of the eleven most important communities of Pampanga. Because of its strategic location along the Pampanga River, it became a major center of trade and commerce - supplying the rice requirements of Manila, the Capital City.
Landmarks
Mount Arayat is likewise known as Mount Sinukuan, named after legendary Goddess and enchanted lady, Maria Sinukuan


c. MAP AND
GEOGRAPHY
c. MAP AND
GEOGRAPHY
Mt. Arayat
Landmarks
Banal na Balon and Our Lady of the Immaculate Concepcion grotto, located at San Juan Baño.
Banal na Balon
Landmarks
St. Catalina Church was built in honor of St Catherine of Alexandria.


St. Catalina Church
Landmarks
Municipality of Arayat
Landmarks
San Juan Baño grotto of God the Father and the Nativity.
San Juan Baño Grotto
d. FESTIVALS AND TRADITIONS
During November 25, people of Arayat celebrates Santa Catalina Alexandria Festival to honor their patron saint,
Secular and Religious Festivals
Santa Catalina Alexandria Festival
Secular and Religious Festivals
Sanikulas Festival
The Sanikulas Festival is being celebrated in honor of Saint Nicolas de Tolentino' bread/cookies (which is a local delicacy in the town which have arrow roots as their main ingredient). The tradition is inspired by the story of San Nicolas when he was ill for some time and his advancement to old age started to manifest; he was even about to meet death because of his illness.
Kapampangans welcome the Christmas Day by the annual "Lubenas Pascu". It is during this celebration that they parade colorful lanterns and decorated carozzas. Lubenas came from the word novena, which means nine days, referring to the nine-day simbang gabi.
Secular and Religious Festivals
Lubenas Pascu
Beliefs and Rituals
Mariang Sinukuan
Sinukuan is a mountain guardian goddess associated with the unusual bounty of the forests in Arayat, and with the profusion of animals there. Watching over the needs of the people in the nearby town, she used to regularly leave fruits and animals at the doorstep of locals who needed food during hard times.
Beliefs and Rituals
Death and Burial
The wake (makipaglame) lasts for at least three days and two nights after which everybody participates in the libing (interment). As part of the ritual, vigil is observed till the ninth day after the death of the deceased known as pasiyam (day). On the first death anniversary, lukas paldas (literally the removing of the dress for mourning) is practiced with a grandiose meal. The pangadi (prayer observance) is an important part of the ritual.
Culinary Specialties
Ebun Buro
It is fermented rice with a mixture of fish. It doesn’t smell that nice but its taste is great.
Culinary Specialties
Bringhe
It is a version of Paella using glutinous rice, coconut milk, native chicken and chorizo.
Culinary Specialties
Kabigting’s Halo Halo
Their version of the halo-halo is unique – made from only three ingredients namely cream corn, mashed beans and pastillas cooked using carabao’s milk.
e.MEMORABLE KAPAMPANGAN
Politicians
General José Alejandrino
He was one of the Filipino generals during the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War. He was also asenator of the Twelfth Senatorial District of the Philippines. He was also a contributor to La solidaridad. Alejandrino helped José Rizal in correcting errors in the El filibusterismo, which was published in Ghent, Belgium. He also helped distribute copies of the said manuscript.
Politicians
Ambassador Amelito Ramirez Mutuc
One of the first high-profile politicians. A diplomat and a cabinet official who helped build the credentials of the Macapagal Administration. Amelito Mutuc, Arayat’s envoy to the world, passed away in 1994.
Politicians
Lt. Col. Joaquin Alejandrino
He was one of the Filipino martyr during the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War. Rendered military service during the Philippine Revolution, together with his brothes General Jose Alejandrino.
Location
Political Map
The town of Arayat is located in the northern part of Pampanga. It is surrounded by the towns of Magalang on the northwest, Cabiao on the northeast, Candaba on the East, Sta Ana on the South and Mexico on the west, with a total area of 17,694 hectares and a population of 121,348 people according to 2010 census.
a. TOPONYM
Mabalacat became the town in 1712. It was named after the balacat tree(Zizyphus Zonulata Blco.), a fourth class timber. Mabalacat means full of balacat . Then a settlement of a Negrito tribe headed by a chieftain name Caragan, the area was virtual forest of balacat trees. It has land area of 15,262 hectares more than double that of Angeles City s. Two-thirds of the land area of Clark Air Base was taken from Mabalacat. According to old residents, from Liberation to 1949 all judicial cases were reffered to and heard at the Justice of the Peace Court of Mabalacat. Before 1712 Mabalacat was a barrio (Barangay) of Bambang, now Bamban Tarlac.
b. TOWN HISTORY
There is no official record on the foundation of this town, but according to stories handed down orally from generation to generation, the first settlers were purely Negritos led by Caragan. Caragan married Laureana Tolentino and adopted her family name. Laureana Tolentino was the first cabeza de barangay of Mabalacat, a title now equivalent to barangay captain. The Negritos were finally driven back to the nearby mountains and hills by the lowlanders who frequented the place to hund wild animals and fowls. At present one barangay, Marcos Village, is inhabited by Negritos who live in bungalow housed and speak broken English. Mabalacat like Porac, Sta. Rita, Magalang and Angeles City never gets flooded by heavy rain because it is situated on an elevated plain known as Upper Pampanga.
c. MAP AND
GEOGRAPHY
The heroic story of the exploits of Kelly and his crew electrified the nation. Due to his selfless acts of courage, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross on December 10, 1941, the second highest award for heroism in the nation, by General Douglas MacArthur. On December 10, 2007, an imposing monument in his honor was unveiled in Clark, Pampanga thru the initiative of the Municipality of Mabalacat
Landmarks
Capt. Colin P. Kelly, Jr. Monument
Landmarks
Kamikaze East Airfield
In the northernmost town of Mabalacat is a memorial marker to remember the first Japanese Kamikaze pilots called Shimpu Special Attack Corps under Lt. Yukio Seki who took off for their last mission as official "human bombs" on October 25, 1944. A garden shrine has been built by the local tourism office to symbolize the Philippine-Japan friendship ties. In Clark, Japanese forces staged the same air operations from the so-called west airfield by using kamikaze (divine winds) tactics against American and allied forces.
A memorial and sign mark the site of the old runway, and it is frequently visited by tourists, especially Japanese. The memorial was built by ther Mabalacat Tourism Office: 'Not for the glorification of the Kamikaze but rather for the use of war history as a tool for the promotion of peace and friendship among nations. This shrine serves as a reminder that the Kamikaze phenomenon shall never happen again.
Landmarks
Memorial & Kamikaze Peace Shrine
Landmarks
Marcos Santos Residence
The Marcos Santos residence is the exact location where Vic Admiral Takijro Ohnishi of the Japanese Imperial Navy organized the first Kamikaze group called the Shimpu Special Attack Corps on October 20, 1944. The first to volunteer were the 23 fliers of the 201st Air Group, 1st Air Fleet, Imperial Nippon Naval Air Force under Commander Asaichi Tamai, then stationed in Mabalacat. The Mabalacat Tourism Office supports the establishment of the Kamikaze Peace Memorial Shrine as an instrument to promote peace, friendship and undertanding among nations - that the Kamikaze phenonment shall never happen again.
Clark Air Base is a former United States Air Force base on Luzon Island in the Philippines, located 3 miles west of Angeles City. The base was a stronghold of the combined Filipino and American forces during the end of World War II, and until 1975, it was a backbone of logistical support during the Vietnam War. Following the departure of American forces in 1991, the base eventually became the site of Clark International Airport.
Landmarks
Clark Air base
This church was said to have been established in the year 1768, but a more realistic date would be around the early 1830s. The oldest bell in the parish is dated 1835, during the term of Fr. Jose Varela, the town’s first cura parocco.
Landmarks
Our Lady of Divine Grace Parish Church
Landmarks
Clark International Airport
Clark International Airport (formerly named as Diosdado Macapagal International Airport) is a major aviation center in thePhilippines located within the Clark Freeport Zone serving the general area of Angeles City in the Philippines
It is a secluded garden hotel that offers calmness, relaxation and serenity. It 87, McArthur Highway, Dau, Mabalacat, Pampanga. It was popularly known as “The Yap Park” in the early seventies. It has a sunken grass covered lawn measuring approximately 7000 to 8000 square meters that serves as an accent to the landscape.
Landmarks
Woodland Resort Hotel
d. FESTIVALS AND TRADITIONS
Himno ning Balen
Himno ning Mabalacat Balen a mayap a amlat Balen ding mayap a dapat Misaup-saup keng gunyat King panyulung mung masampat Eke paysupil king keynan Tikdo keng mipnung tetagan Ipuk daka king dangalan O balen ming pakamalan Koro: Mabalacat mal ming balen Dangal mu kekeng banten Mabalacat mal ming balen Luguran daka at sesen Lalam mung banuang makule Masaplala ing kekeng bie Karing marangal ming pake Makatiman ing tagumpe (Ulitin ang koro) Mabalacat… Mabalacat..
Held every 3rd week of February as part of the month-long celebration of the town fiesta of Mabalacat, Pampanga, the event is named after the first chieftain or king known as Garagan of the said town who happens to be an Aeta and married to a Mabalaquena named Laureana Tolentino. The highlight of the festival is the street parade featuring all of Aeta culture and heritage.
Secular and Religious Festivals
Caragan Festival
The pastorella (Misa de Pastores in honor of the shepherds at the birth of Jesus Christ - a set of Latin hymns of the 9-day Christmas Masses). In Mabalacat, however, at Our Lady of Divine Grace Parish, pastorella lives on: In the 4:30 a.m. mass on Monday, the pastorella repertoire includes the Kyrie (Lord, Have Mercy), Gloria (Glory to God in the Highest), Credo (Apostle's Creed), Sanctus (Holy) and Agnus Dei (Lamb of God). The hymns are in Latin, except for Kyrie, which is in Greek.
Secular and Religious Festivals
Pastorella
e.MEMORABLE KAPAMPANGAN
Mabalacat Heroes
Lt. Emilio Timbol Dominguez--who fought alongside General Francisco Makabulos in Tarlac as part of his infantry brigade against the Spaniards. In the same manuscript, he also mentions a Philippine-American War hero-- Captain Domingo Tanhueco Dizon, unit commander of the local Katipuneros, who led a group of Mabalaquenos and helped win the Battle of Camansi in Magalang. Tanhueco fled to Japan with Artemio Ricarte, when the Americans occupied the country, and died there in 1903.
Also during the revolutionary period, captured leader Bernardo Tanglao Sr. of Dolores, was made to suffer personal indignities for refusing to reveal the names of his companions who formed part of a contingent of Filipino freedom fighters.
Mabalacat Heroes
Kudiaro Laxamana, an Ayta tribal chief and leader of the 55-155th Squadron, Northwest Pampanga Mountain District, distinguished himself by becoming a guerilla hero for his annihilation of 50 Japanese while harboring 10 U.S. airmen during World War II. Born in the foothills of Mt. Pinatubo in the Porac area, he rose to the rank of a Colonel, 13thAirforce, U.S.A.F, after having protected the life of Col. Gyle Merrill and Maj. Henry Conner Jr. of the 27th Bomb Group. He also served as a Vice President to Alfonso, King of the Negritos, who, himself was made an honorary U.S. Air Force Brigadier General #. His exploits were finally honored with a posthumous award on 28 January 1995 in Mabalacat. The plaque was accepted by his children Elena, Juanito and Indon Edwin.
Politicians
Honorable Marino Boking Morales
Mayor Boking as he is fondly called by his constituents, was born on November 15, 1950 in Barangay Dau, this city from a prominent family, the Pineda-Morales clan. Now atthe age of 61 years old, the honorable mayor is considered as an "Achiever". From a 3rd class municipality, he succeeded to convert Mabalacat into a 1st class town and eventually into a Component City of the Province of Pampanga.
Location
Political Map
In 1853 Mabalacat had a population of 2,611 and four barangays, namely, Babangdapu, Duquit, Malabni, and Paglilmbunan and is located in an elevated plain known as Upper Pampanga.
THANK YOU!
Full transcript