Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Week 1 Lesson 1: Introduction to the course and context and geography and language
Transcript of Week 1 Lesson 1: Introduction to the course and context and geography and language
To understand the longer-term context and background of the revolution, including the impact of geography.
Students will be able to articulate how geography affected the lives of peasants and women.
Week 1 Lesson 1: Introduction to the course and context and background to the revolution, including: impact of geography on needs of the people.
Unit 4 Area of Study 1: Causes of revolution - The Chinese Revolution from 1912 to 1949 (The Chinese Republic to the Communist victory in the Civil War
on the 1 October 1949).
SAC for U4 AOS1: Essay
When? Week 6 (precise dates TBC)
Overview of geography and language features
Situating ourselves spatially
These names and faces will become very familiar
Overview of language features
Language features: Wade-Giles vs Pinyin
Two dominant ways to name places and people that vary in pronunciation and spelling
> Originated 1859
> More old-fashioned
> uses hyphens (-)
> Introduced late-1950s
Doesn't use hypens
Main activity: Reading and questions on China's geography and social structure
1. Working individually.
2. Read and annotate the text.
3. Answer the questions thoroughly.
4. Class discussion to follow.
5. We have 20 minutes.