Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Time of Death - Algor Mortis and Stomach Contents
Transcript of Time of Death - Algor Mortis and Stomach Contents
Approximately one hour after death, the body cools at a rate of 0.78 degrees C per hour.
After 12 hours, the body loses about 0.39 degrees C per hour until it is the same temp. as the surroundings. Big Idea 1: Algor Mortis "Chill of Death" When a person is alive, the body maintains a constant temperature using the circulatory, respiratory and nervous system.
When a person dies, the body stops making heat and cool down.
Forensic investigators insert a thermometer into the liver to determine body temperature. Livor Mortis and Rigor Mortis Sponge Objective: SWBAT use evidence of algor mortis and stomach contents to estimate time of death
Livor Mortis and Rigor Mortis Sponge (complete in composition notebook)
1. Write the daily objective
2. Differentiate beween rigor mortis and livor mortis.
3. If a person is only stiff in the head and neck, but no where else, about how long have they been dead? Big Idea 2: Stomach and Intestinal Contents It takes 4-6 hours for the stomach to empty its contents.
It takes 12 hours for food to leave the small intestine.
It takes 24 hours for all undigested food from a meal to leave the body as waste. Big Idea 2: Stomach and Intestinal Contents Medical Examiners can conclude:
1. If there is food in the stomach, death occurred zero to two hours after the last meal
2. If the stomach is empty, but food is in the small intestine, death occurred four to six hours after the last meal.
3. If the small intestine is empty, but there is food in the large intestine, then death occurred 12 or more hours after a meal. Commercial Break!!! Quick Check!!!
1. If there is food a person's stomach, how long have they been dead?
2. If there is food in the large intestine only, how long has the person been dead? February 21 Time of Death - Algor Mortis and Stomach Contents Table of Contents 2/21 Livor mortis and rigor mortis sponge
Algor mortis and stomach contents notes Homework Chap. 11 review questions on Quia due Weds. 2/27 Commercial Break! Quick Check!!!
1. What is algor mortis?
2. Between an hour and 12 hours, how
much heat does you body loss an hour (in C)? Big Idea 1: Algor Mortis Bodies cool faster in cooler environments.
Wind cools the body faster.
Body fat and clothing slow down heat loss. Activities 1. Online example http://school.cengage.com/forensicscience/home.html
2. Activity 11-2 pg. 328; Part A and Part B