Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
NCJFCJ 2017 Guardianship Reform
Transcript of NCJFCJ 2017 Guardianship Reform
Conservatorship Accountability Project (CAP)
Using Predictive Analytics to "Flag" Cases
NCJFCJ 80th Annual Conference
July 17, 2017
Brenda K. Uekert, PhD
Principal Court Research Consultant
National Center for State Courts
1.To develop and test expert-informed tools to identify problematic cases and direct critical resources to these cases
2. To disseminate, adapt and pilot conservatorship accounting software in three states
3. To develop a Conservatorship Accountability Project (CAP) Network
Can we use technology to...
Automate auditing functions
Develop response protocols
PROTECT the assets of vulnerable adults?
Modernize the process
Concerns of Loss
- Focus on restoration of assets
- Consider differentiated case management (DCM)
- Develop forensic accounting strategies
- Use a variety of sanctions
- Referral for prosecution
New Mexico and Nevada: Planning
Iowa, Indiana, Texas: Implementation
MN coding requires substantial work
Lack of resources and auditing
Implementation and technical manuals
What's the Problem?
Enhancing Choice and Fulfilling Duties: National Training Resource on Decision Support and Guardianship
NCSC, ABA Commission on Law & Aging, Washington Courts, with funding from Elder Justice Initiative
The Administration for Community Living has funded the ABA Commission on Law and Aging, in partnership with the National Center for State Courts, to:
Provide grants to states through an RFP process. Grants were announced May 2017.
Provide an infrastructure to support WINGS, including action tools, operational tools, help with strategic planning, development of outcome measures, and evaluation
Other Guardianship Projects
1.3 million G/C cases
$50 billion under assets
In many cases of exploitation, the estate was plundered prior to detection of the problem.
Study on Exploitation by Conservators
Developing a Judicial Response Protocol to Address Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation in Guardianship Cases
with AJA, NCPJ, NCJFCJ
Risk Indicators: Examples
More than 6 clothing transactions
Non-professional conservator: more than 2 bank accounts
Person lives in care facility: More than 21 grocery expense transactions
Guardianship App for Judges ?