Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Atomic Structure
Ions are basically unstable atoms
This means that they have a charge. (positive or negative)
Ions are what are formed when one atom is made to react with another
A positively charged ion is one that loses electrons
Metals form positively charged ions
ATOMIC MASS NUMBER
DEDUCE THE SYMBOL OF ISOTOPES
1) YOU WILL BE GIVEN THE MASS NUMBER AND ATOMIC NUMBER
2) IDENTIFY THE MASS NUMBER AND ATOMIC NUMBER
How was the atomic structure formed?
Relative Mass and Relative Charge
Atomic number and atomic mass number-
Atomic number is basically the number of protons in an atom/ion
In a stable atom, atomic number is also the same as the number of electrons
Atomic mass number is basically the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom
If you have both the atomic number and the mass number of an atom, it is possible to get the number of neutrons through subtraction
Isotopes and their properties
Similar chemical properties and
different physical properties
Uses of radioisotopes
Detecting cracks in pipes