Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Roe v. Wade
Transcript of Roe v. Wade
Both sides of the issue
Only provided abortions if giving birth would expose the mother to life-threatening medical complications.
*Went by the pseudonym of Jane Roe*
"Raped" by a group of men and found herself pregnant, and unable to obtain an abortion.
First Amendment: Freedom of Speech
Texas abortion law interfered with a woman's right to associate with her physician.
Fourteenth Amendment: Right to privacy
Women seeking out an abortion can have privacy from the government since it is a personal decision.
- Women have the right to terminate their own pregnancy.
- The state has the responsibility to protect prenatal life.
Roe v. Wade
CBA Court Case
Plantiff: Norma McCorvey
7-2 vote to agree with Roe and give women the right to terminate a pregnancy in the first trimester.
Norma McCorvey was later on baptized into a Catholic church and became embarrassed by what she did. "I'm pro-life. I think I always have been pro-life, I just didn't know it."
President of the United States: Richard Nixon
Due to the Watergate Scandal, Nixon did not voice his opinion or influence any decisions of the Supreme Court.
The Vietnam War caused trauma and economic problems in the United States
- If the state denies individuals an abortion, it is going against the woman's personal right to privacy.
- The Supreme Court has never declared that a fetus is a person which does not give the fetus a legal "right to life"
- The unborn are people and are therefore entitled to be protected under the Constitution.
- The Texas law is put in place to protect the health and safety of all it's citizens, including the unborn.
Roe v. Wade's impact on society.
State laws are requiring women to undergo steps before having an abortion.
Planned Parenthood v. Casey
Planned Parenthood centers are still the battlegrounds over abortions
Roe v. Wade is still one of the most brought up and talked about cases in the Supreme Court as abortion is still an issue debated over today.
"Abortion." Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, 8 Dec. 1995. Web. 22 Apr. 2014.
"Abortion: Mandatory Ultrasounds." Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, 7 May 2012. Web. 22 Apr. 2014.
Herda, D. J. Roe v. Wade: The Abortion Question. Hillside, NJ: Enslow, 1994. Print.
"Impeachment and Censure in U.S. History." Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, 4 Dec. 1998. Web. 22 Apr. 2014.
"'Jane Roe' Joins Antiabortion Organization (sidebar)." Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, 8 Dec. 1995. Web. 22 Apr. 2014.
"Nixon, Richard Milhous." Encyclopedia. Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2014.
"Recent Key Events in the History of Abortion (sidebar)." Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, 23 July 2012. Web. 22 Apr. 2014.
"Roe v. Wade, 1973." PH School. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2014. <http://www.phschool.com/curriculum_support/interactive_constitution/scc/scc35.htm>.
"Roe v. Wade and Its Impact." Ushistory.org. Independence Hall Association, n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2014. <http://www.ushistory.org/us/57d.asp>.
"United States of America: History-- The Vietnam War Period." Encyclopedia. Issues & Controversies. Facts on File News Services, n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
"U.S.- Vietnam Relations." Issues and Controversies on File. Facts on File News Services, 10 Apr. 2006. Web. 23 Apr. 2014.
"Watergate (U.S. Political Scandal)." Encyclopedia. Issues and Controversies. Facts on File News Services, n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2014.