Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
International Subsector Project
Transcript of International Subsector Project
The International Nonprofit Subsector
In 2003, there were approximately 5,600 NPOs that worked in the int'l subsector, comprising 2 percent of nonprofit organizations and revenue.
Noam Chomsky - "Dilemmas in Humanitarian Intervention"
Examples: The Global Scope of the Public Sector
"U.S. Global Development Lab" aims to end extreme poverty by 2030 through foreign policy and development initiatives
1. What do we mean?: Frameworks and Dimensions
2. Unique Challenges & Values
3. Intersections: Public and Private
4. Final Activity: "The World Needs..."
*Teasers for Activities will be spread throughout the presentation
Vanessa S. Pacheco
Activity #5: YOU DECIDE - What does the world need more of?
Visit http://worldhumanitarianday.org to vote and explore
Simply put, international NPOs do work that is global in its scope. Examples:
Activity #1: FORUM POST
Consider your current nonprofit interest/affiliation, and find a comparable organization that does work internationally. Describe the differences.
[visit the "My Int'l Org" forum for more detail]
Activity #3 and #4: Choose One
**all 5 activities will be explained in the Int'l Forum**
** Visit link in Resources page and Watch 15:00 - 33:00
What do you think of when you think about International Nonprofits?
FORUM POST: In "What Makes Int'l Philanthropy Work?" Atwood says, "philanthropy that works cannot be charity." What is your interpretation of this statement?
** Through Thursday
** Friday Activity
- How should international organizations manage national allegiances and differing value structures between host and home countries?
- Why or why not would you donate/work with an international nonprofit instead of donating to a local cause in the United States?
"Three major categories of international nonprofits operate in the United States. The largest, international development and assistance organizations, makes up 74 percent of organizations."
"Not surprisingly, in the wake of the Russian military action, the nonprofit Ukrainian Community of Western Pennsylvania scheduled a benefit concern to help the victims of violence in Kiev, the capital of the Ukraine. With the ongoing turmoil in the country, the concert organizers don’t know how they will be able to send the concert proceeds to the Ukraine or how the resources might be deployed."
"Companies’ overall charitable giving goals reflect a widely held emphasis on shared value."
1. Abassi, L., Asselin, O., Branthwaite, A., Cullen, C., Liechti, S., Morooka, I., Price, S., Ramonedam, M., Uitert, O., (2013). The World Needs More Of. Retrieved March 2014 from http://worldhumanitarianday.org/
2. Chomsky, N., (2011). Dilemmas in Humanitarian Intervention, Williams College Speech; retrieved March 2014 from
3. Cohen, Rick. (2014, March 03). Helping Ukraine: What Should Donors and Nonprofits Do?. Retrieved March 2014, from https://nonprofitquarterly.org/philanthropy/23771-helping-ukraine-what-should-donors-and-nonprofits-do.html
4. Kerlin, Janelle and Thanasombat, Supaborn. (2006, September). The International Charitable Nonprofit Subsector. Retrieved February 2014 from http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/311360_nonprofit_subsector.pdf
5. Lungo, Karina. (2012, March 30). Research Friday: Why Give to International Charities?. Retrieved April 2014, from http://blog.lodestar.asu.edu/2012/03/research-friday-why-give-to.html
6. Malaria No More. (2014, April 8). That’s The Power of One [Video file]. Retrieved April 2014
7. Mama Hope. (2012, April 25). "African Men. Hollywood Stereotypes [Video File]. Retrieved April 2014
7. U.S. Aid. (2013). U.S. Global Development Lab [Video file]. Retrieved March 2014 from http://www.usaid.gov/news-information/videos/us-global-development-lab
8. Woodkid, (2013). World Humanitarian Day 2013 Message, [Video file/youtube]. Retrieved March 2014 from
Mama Hope is an organization based in San Francisco that supports self-sufficient communities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
**links in resources folder!