Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Refugee Students: Who Are They and How Do We Deal With Them?

No description
by

Chelsey MacDougall

on 28 April 2010

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Refugee Students: Who Are They and How Do We Deal With Them?

Refugee Students









Chelsey MacDougall
Lit 507-920
April 28, 2010
refugee: n; any person unable or unwilling
to return to his or her country because
of persecution or a well-founded fear of
persecution on account of race, religion,
nationality, membership in a particular social
group, or political opinion (Kanstroom, 2003)
Refugee Camps
Range from 300 to 25,000 people
Located in over 150 countries
http://millionsoulsaware.org/
As of 2006, there were an estimated 12 million refugees in the world. Only 1% have a chance of resettlement. The other 99% remain in refugee camps(Nshombo, 2009). Democratic Republic of Congo. Somalia Vietnam Life in the Camps Harsh conditions
Like a prison
Poverty
Entertainment
Whole families survive on as little as $10 a month! Hardly any possessions
Overcrowded
Education "Beside sitting in shade playing games,
discussing and sleeping, there is nothing else most
refugees gain at the end of the day."(Nshombo, 2009)
Refugees include the person
chosen to be resettled along
with their spouse or unmarried
children under the age of 21. Refugee Act of 1980 Brought US to comply with refugees In the late 20th century,over 100,000 refugees were granted admission into the United States.
After residing in the United States for one year, they may apply for lawful permanent residence. "Where refugees are settled in the United States is decided by 10 national organizations called “voluntary agencies” that work with the State Department and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, according to Sanja Bebic, the director of the Center for Applied Linguistics’ Cultural Orientation Resource Center"(Zehr,2008).
Refugees in the United States In 2009 out of the allowed 80,000,
74,652 refugees entered into the US. Iraq: 18,833
Burma: 18,202 So far in 2010... http://www.cal.org/co/refugee/statistics/index.html Top 5 Entering Refugee Populations of 2010 1. Iraq 6,959
2. Bhutan 5,373
3. Burma 6,369
4. Cuba 1,917
5. Somalia 1,678 Refugees in New York State (US Refugee, 2010) 3,632 refugees settled in NYS in 2008. 87% in Upstate NY
Only 13% in New York City Approximately 700 refugees come to Central New York each year. Only 200 are employable adults. Refugee Center to the rescue! Works with:
Catholic charities
InterReligious Council of CNY
Syracuse Jewish Federation Offer courses in job
instruction and English. Syracuse City School District Principal Sharon Birnkrant says: Children enter schools
and are required to take state
assessments after only a year! "What you end up with is a failing school, and in this case, I am proud to be the principal of a failing school" (Sieh,2008). 4 of every 10 students
at H.W. Smith Elementary are ELLs. Refugee Students Pre-literate Pre-technological Some have never been out of camps. Refugee Parents English? Job? Normalcy? Getting Established WE CAN HELP! HOW? TEACHERS CAN
MAKE A
DIFFERENCE Have high expectations set rules model good behavior challenge them be a mentor watch out for signs of stress -This website was created for refugee awareness. It contains a map that shows where refugee camps are located around the globe. This picture was borrowed from http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.everyculture.com/images/ctc_01_img0264.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.everyculture.com/Bo-Co/Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo.html&usg=__83CZ8X2YHsuN_dv_20Ss56vD70c=&h=288&w=486&sz=31&hl=en&start=19&itbs=1&tbnid=NXLYY8eI_yXUvM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddemocratic%2Brepublic%2Bof%2Bcongo%2Brefugee%2Bcamps%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1 This picture was borrowed from http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thegrio.com/assets_c/2009/09/somolia-thumb-400xauto-4032.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thegrio.com/top-stories/somali-refugee-camps-are-barely-fit-for-humans.php&usg=__ZzuPkR9WH8w5JeGNmp1K4VuHaK4=&h=299&w=400&sz=42&hl=en&start=52&itbs=1&tbnid=W8ZcMBlMMMcvfM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drefugee%2Bcamps%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bworld%26start%3D40%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1 This picture was borrowed from http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.naa.gov.au/Images/refugee-camp-700_tcm2-16281.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.naa.gov.au/whats-on/online/showcases/by-year/1978/refugee-camp.aspx&usg=__UDPMj0BQ1Zqw2lo-sWZ1zlv7FO4=&h=560&w=700&sz=76&hl=en&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=JLkoz_YUv7JE0M:&tbnh=112&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvietnamese%2Brefugee%2Bcamps%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1 (Office,2010) Coming to Central New York (Duffett,2005) (Duffett,2005)
Full transcript