Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
5 Culture Industries
Transcript of 5 Culture Industries
Adorno, Theodor (1991 ) ‘Culture Industry Reconsidered’, in The Culture Industry: Selected Essays on Mass Culture, London: Routledge, p96.
similar to other industries
rationalized organisational procedures
standardized, passive consumption
"seem[s] to fit in with totalitarian creeds" source: http://www.ukfilmcouncil.org.uk/article/17779/UK-Box-Office-3---5-February-2012, accessed 13 February 2012. source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles, accessed 13 February 2012. method: political economy Du Gay, Paul (1997) Production of Culture / Cultures of Production, London: Sage, p3. political economy examines:
distribution of income
patterns of ownership and control
nature(s) of market economies
Adorno, Theodor (1991 ) ‘How to Look at Television’, in The Culture Industry: Selected Essays on Mass Culture, London: Routledge, p142. creative industries: UK Department for Culture, Media and Sport (2011) 'Creative Industries Economic Estimates', London: DCMS, p18. Adorno argues:
the culture industries fundamentally change the role(s) of culture in society
we have moved from culture produced by the people to culture produced for the people
culture has become a commodity
summary FTVF1F12 – Interrogating Culture
Brett Mills Culture Industries 1. consumed by lots of people
2. made to be consumed by lots of people
3. not 'art' / not 'quality'
4. made by the people Williams, Raymond (1983 ) 'Keywords', revised edition, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp236-8.
defining 'popular culture' The Frankfurt School made by the people