Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


2016 ECE Graduate Orientation

No description

ECE UC Davis

on 24 September 2017

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of 2016 ECE Graduate Orientation

New Graduate Student Orientation
Graduate Program Contacts
Graduate Program Information
Financial Support
Student Groups

Student Reception

3:00 -4:00
Graduate Program Coordinator
Kyle Westbrook
Primary Contact for graduate student issues
Graduate recruitment & admissions
Problems - see Kyle first
All forms are routed through Kyle (for Grad Adviser signatures and OGS approval)
Last Resort - Office of Graduate Studies staff
To schedule appointment: (Grad Staff Advising) https://appointments.ucdavis.edu
Faculty Academic Advisers
Interim Major Professor - ECE Vice Chair of Graduate Studies (Professor Rajeevan Amirtharajah)
Ensures that all incoming students are properly registered
Assists incoming students in selecting major professor
You may declare a permanent mentor upon entry
All students must complete "Change of Advisor" form

Major Professor (Faculty Mentor)
Mentor for coursework and research
Make selection before beginning of Spring Quarter for MS students and Winter Quarter for PhD students
Must be a member of the ECE Graduate Program
Often your source of funding

Graduate Adviser (Professor Erin Seker)
Reviews programs of study and other forms, assists with academic planning, etc
Erkin Seker’s Advising Hours:
Mondays 1:00 - 2:00p.m. in 3177 Kemper Hall via Grad Faculty Advising in appointment system

General Requirements
ECE Degree Requirements and Procedures: http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/academics/graduate/handbook/
Pay close attention to email reminders/announcements.
Departmental requirements are more stringent than those set by Graduate Studies. The departmental requirements, therefore, take precedence.
Departmental staff are your first stop for any questions.
All forms must go through Grad Coordinator (Kyle) first.
All out-of-state domestic students should file for CA residency for tuition purposes.

Transferring Coursework (MS)
M. S. Degree
Unit transfer after you have completed your 1st quarter at UCD
MUST NOT have been used toward degree requirements
Unit limits:
12 units from UC/UC Davis Extension
6 units from outside of the UC system
IDP students cannot transfer the first two grad courses taken as undergrads. They may transfer any additional grad courses not counted toward the undergraduate degree.

Transferring Coursework (PhD)
Step 1: Develop program of student with major professor
Step 2: Decide if previous coursework should apply to program of study
Step 3: ECE Graduate Adviser (Prof Erin Seker) must approve outside coursework and program of study

Degree Requirements
MS I Requirements - Thesis
at least 3 academic quarters
Unit Requirement: 36 units
at least 24 coursework units
at least 15 of those must be grad engr. courses (200-289)
at least 12 of those must be grad EEC (200-289)
Up to 9 units of 299 and 3 units of 290-297 (excluding 290C)

IDP students: 30 Units
at least 18 coursework units taken as a grad student
at least 12 of those must be ECE grad courses (200-289)
Up to 9 units of 299 and 3 units of 290-297 (excluding 290C)

Advance to Candidacy – during the quarter when all the non-thesis requirements will be completed

MS II Requirements - Comprehensive Exam
at least three academic quarters
Unit Requirement: 36 Units
at least 32 coursework units
at least 24 of those must be grad courses (200-289)
at least 18 of those must be grad engineering courses
at least 15 of those must be grad EEC (200-289)
up to 3 units of 299 and 1 unit of 290-297 (excluding 290C)

IDP students: 36 Units
at least 27 coursework units as a grad student
at least 18 units of grad engineering courses (200-289)
at least 15 of those must be grad EEC (200-289)
up to 6 units of 299 and 3 units of 290-297 (excluding 290C)

Advance to Candidacy – during the quarter when all the coursework requirements will be completed
Comprehensive Exam
Conference-style presentation (prepare for a 50 minute presentation)
MS Plan-II Report

PhD Requirements
at least 6 academic quarters
Unit Requirement: 45 Units of Coursework (3.5 GPA for Program of Study)
at least 30 from “major” field and 15 from “minor” field
at least 24 EEC and 9 non-EEC
PhD Preliminary Evaluation
Exams are held every January – Application due in November
Doctoral Qualifying Examination (optional MS-II)
Taken after program of study is approved and all courses are taken
Must get MP’s approval & complete all MS-II forms to get MS-II
Advancement to Candidacy - After passing QE
Encouraged to advance by your 7th quarter. Must advance no later than 9th quarter. (NRT discount for 3 years after advancing.)
Exit Seminar & Dissertation

Transfer all previous graduate coursework you wish to count toward your degree.
You do not need to officially transfer course units to your UCD transcript.
Students without an EE/CE Degree
Must complete Remedial Courses
Meet with the Graduate Adviser (Prof Erin Seker) to determine the required sequence of remedial courses
Must fill out a remedial course form and turn it in to the Grad Coordinator (Kyle) within the first quarter
For more information, see:

Enrollment Requirements
Enrollment: 12 units is considered full-time.
You must be enrolled full-time during the academic year if one or more of the following are true:
You have a fellowship and/or are employed (GSR, TA, etc.)
You are an international student
You are a Ph.D. student who has advanced to candidacy
EVERY FALL you MUST take EEC 290 (1-unit Grad Seminar).
If you wish to take research units (299):
Must declare major professor in order to be eligible
Enroll in 1 unit of 290C (Group Meeting)
Enroll in the number of 299 research units you need
Each professor will have a unique CRN
If you wish to apply for Part-Time status (6 units or less), PELP, or filing fee, see Kyle for details and application information. You will need various approvals prior to the start of the quarter.

ECE & Campus Resources
Students without a Major Professor
Step 1: Register for EEC 290C with Prof Amirtharajah
Fall 2016 only. Section 5; CRN 31822
You will Identify 3 potential major professors
Meet all 3 faculty members by December 5th
turn in signature page to Kyle
Step 2:
Find Major Professor (MP) by end of Winter Quarter
Must submit Change of MP Form to Kyle
Kyle will have a breakout session on September 30 about selecting a major professor
Teaching Assistant (TA)
Teaching Assistant Appointments
Source: Department
Selection: Teaching Needs, Individual Teaching Capability, Satisfactory Academic Progress, Must Apply for consideration
Fee Remission: Partial
You pay approx. $264 per quarter (Balance of Fees) plus NRST ($5034.00/qtr) if applicable

Available: 25% or 50% (depending on course needs)
2016- 2017 Salary Rates
25%: $1,113.95/month
50%: $2,227.90/month

Teaching Assistant (TA)
TA Units:
Must enroll in EEC390 which is a 1-unit course on teaching methods in ECE.

Each quarter that you are employed as a TA you may take 396, which allows you to obtain units for your work as a TA. (2 units for a 25% TA position, 4 for 50%)

Please note that 390 and 396 units do NOT count toward your Program of Study.

Graduate Student Researcher Appointments
Source: Faculty Member
Selection: Research Needs, Individual Capability
Fee Remission: Full
Available: 25% min, 49% max during Fall, Wtr, Spr; 25-100% Sum
Salary at Step I (MS):
$790.75/mo @ 25%
$1,549.87/mo @ 49%
$3,163.00/mo @ 100% (option for Summer Only)
Salary at Step III (PhD):
$945.25/mo @ 25%
$1,852.69/mo @ 49%
$3,781.00/mo @ 100% (option for Summer Only)

Work Study

Work Study – Only Domestic Students are eligible
Nominated by Major Professor in the Summer
FAFSA required each year by June 30th:
www.fafsa.ed.gov/ (to demonstrate financial need)
Faculty research advisor must agree to fund 25% of the cost of your appointment
Applied to GSR appointments

ALL Domestic Students are required to file a FAFSA each year
(Priority deadline: March 2; Final deadline: June 30th)
Internal Fellowships
Fill out University Fellowship Application available online – Priority due January 15th, 2016 for 2017-18 fellowships:
http://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/ssupport internal_fellowships.html
Domestic students - Fill out FAFSA by March 2nd - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

External Fellowships
see ECE & Office of Graduate Studies websites and ask your professors for letters of recommendation

Employment Eligibility
3.0 minimum GPA
12 units minimum each quarter*
Allowed 1 quarter of work while on PELP or Filing Fee
50% maximum during the academic year
Must Advance to Candidacy by 9th quarter
21 academic quarters max as GSR
18 academic quarters max as TA

Must file a Petition for Exception to Policy (to the Dean of Graduate Studies) if any of these criteria are not met during a given quarter

Renee Kuehnau
Room Reservations
Pay Checks

Purchasing - approved equipment, lab supplies, etc.
Supply Reimbursements – Emergency purchases when own money is used (highly discouraged).
Travel/Entertainment Reimbursements – approved conference expenses, registration – KEEP RECEIPTS! Forms and more information can be found at http://inside.engineering.ucdavis.edu/purch/index.html

Computer Support
Phil Young
Oversee instructional labs, many research group workstations and servers
Maintain the computer network and provide infrastructure services
Offer guidance for non-maintained systems
Your ECE Account
1st: Get a UCD Account.
UCD LoginID = ECE username
2nd: Default ECE Password
Visit 2107 Kemper Hall, hover mouse over login window

Home directory quota = 300MB
ECEGRAD mailing list: ecegrad@ucdavis.edu
Watch for news, announcements, and deadlines
ECE Student Computing Facilities
Kemper Hall Room 1107 – Graduate Study Room.
See Renee Kuehnau in 2064 for keypad access code.
Undergrad computing labs also available during non-reserved times.
For facility descriptions and reservation times see: http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/support

Remote access available to all ECE Linux workstations.

Make sure to read our Computer Usage Policy!
Contacting Computer Support
Self help information is available on our website.
How to connect your workstation to the ECE wired network.
How to obtain software for your workstation.
Service outage information & much more!

To request help from computing support, send an email to ece-support@ucdavis.edu. Requests are assigned a unique number and entered into a tracking system.
Lance Halsted

ECE Safety Coordinator/Development Engineer
2152 Kemper Hall / 752-8959
Occupational Illness and Injuries
If you are injured at work please notify your supervisor or Lance Halsted immediately**

For injuries occurring Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm please call or come to the clinic at:
Phone: (530) 752-6051
Address: Cowell Hall (on campus) – California Ave across from Russell Field
For After hours Injuries:
If life-threatening call 9-1-1
Sutter Davis Hospital Emergency Room: (530) 757-5111
Davis Urgent Care: (530) 759-9110
4515 Fermi Place, Suite 105, Davis CA 95618
** Insurance requires that notification of injury be made within 24
hours for full coverage.

How to Report a Safety Hazard
You have the right to report any safety hazard, either directly or anonymously, without any fear of reprisal.

College of Engineering EH&S Coordinator
Veronica Thron (vthron@ucdavis.edu) 752-9803
2059 Academic Surge

Department Chair
Kent Wilken (kdwilken@ucdavis.edu) 752-0583

Department Safety Coordinator
Lance Halsted (lehalsted@ucdavis.edu) 752-8959

Your Supervisor or Principal Investigator (PI)

Department Safety Webpage (on-line form)
Initial Safety Training
Be Alert to Potential for Emergencies
Emergencies can happen, so
Avoid working alone in the lab
Have access to a phone
Review MSDSs if working with chemicals
Know where to go and what to do in an emergency
Know the location of the closest safety showers, eyewashes, and fire extinguishers
These topics will be covered in the area-specific safety training
Other Emergency Procedures
Call 911 (or 530 752-1234)
Activate building fire alarm
Safely use fire extinguisher on small fires
Hazardous Chemical Spill (over 1 pint):
Evacuate the room. Close door
Call 911
Wait for emergency personnel in a safe location
Consider evacuation of building (see Safety Net #13 handout)
Initial Safety Training
Lab Specific Safety Training
Minimizing Electrical Hazards
The California Fire Code prohibits permanent use of extension cords. Instead use power strips or surge protectors.

Surge protectors and power strips are not for high power loads such as space heaters, microwaves, and refrigerators. These items should be plugged directly into wall outlet.
Minimizing Fire Hazards
Keep hallways clear. Do not leave papers, boxes or cardboard in hallways for janitors to recycle. Instead take to dumpsters in Kemper loading area.
Do not leave electronic or computer equipment or furniture in hallways. Contact Department office to salvage unwanted items.
Do not use space heaters unless approved by UCD Fire Department. (Needs automatic tip-over shut-off)
Keep cardboard and paper at least 18 inches from the ceiling.
Do not hang anything from sprinkler heads.
If using coffee pot, use one with automatic shut-off timer.
Allen John - Chair
Afton Geil
Department Safety Webpage

EH&S Webpage

Software via DreamSpark, aka MSDNAA

Find link at ECE Computer Support website
Login = @ucdavis.edu email address
Click "forgot my password"
Generally all Microsoft titles, except MS Office
Cloud Storage
Cloud Storage via BOX.COM

Login = @ucdavis.edu email address
Quota = 50GB
Joint meetings with other engineering clubs
ex: CS, SWE
Pizza with a Professor, or an Engineer
EJC events and competitions
Ice cream social, sports and end-of-year BBQ
MicroMouse Competition
Industry Info Sessions
Company representatives from: Sandia National Laboratories, Accenture, Intel...
Weekly General Meetings
Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP)
The general contents of the department IIPP
My right to ask any questions, or report any safety hazards, either directly or anonymously without any fear of reprisal.
The location of departmental safety bulletins and required safety postings.
Reporting safety concerns.
Accessing the department safety coordinator.
Reporting occupational injuries and illnesses.
See http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/resources/safety/
Emergency Action and Evacuation Plan (EAP)
The general contents of the department EAP
Emergency escape routes and procedures and Emergency Assembly Area (EAA)
How to report a fire and other emergencies.
Names or regular job titles of persons to be contacted for further information.
Evacuation routes will be different depending on the location of the work area.
Designated ECE meeting area:
Northeast of Kemper Hall, near back of Bainer Hall
Laboratory-specific Hazard Awareness
Spill and emergency procedures (Safety Net #13)
Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT) (online)
Proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
UC Lab Safety Fundamentals Course (online)
Location and use of fire extinguishers, emergency eye washes, and showers.
Chemical Hygiene Plan
SOPs for potentially hazardous substances or equipment
Chemical Inventory System (CIS)
Hazard Specific Training (Laser, Bio, Rad authorizations)
Full transcript