Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Expository Essay
Transcript of Copy of Expository Essay
- Expository writing is designed to communicate ideas and information to specific audiences for specific purpose.
Major Parts of the Essay
What is expository writing?
The writer describes a topic by listing traits, features, and examples.
The writer lists steps or events in chronological order.
The writer examines similarities and differences of two subjects.
The writer lists at least one cause and examines its consequences.
The writer describes a problem and goes on to list some solutions for the problem.
Begin with a hook statement
Continue to build
End with thesis
State topic point
Follow with supporting sentence
Finish with closing sentence
(End with a transition word such as "to conclude", or "hence".)
Restate the thesis (not word for word)
- Expository Synonyms: "explain" , "define" , "describe"
- Unlike creative writing or persuasive writing
-Formula to write by: "Never Confuse the Reader"
- An expository essay is a straightforward explanation of a topic.
- Solely factual
Do I have a
Do I have a proper conclusion?
Do I have evidence?
Do I have supporting points?
Do I have transition
Was it fear, pity or compassion that motivated the gift? (q2/1)
1st Body Paragraph
Topic Idea: Pity
"3rd Body" Paragraph
Topic Idea: Compassion
Topic Sentences are the first sentence of each body paragraph. They are essentially mini thesis'. They let the reader know what the paragraph is going to be about and what type of information they are going to find there.
Facebook is a great tool for people to use because you can connect with others, it can help you organize your events, and it allows you to share important information easily.
To Ace a Test, perform the fallowing
1.Make sure all assigned homework questions are completed befoehand
2. Redo all hard questions throughout
3. Re-do the quizzes for the unit
4. Test yourself with someone
5. Have a good night rest
6. Eat a healthy breakfast!
Because of the increasing number of technological advances, many professions are becoming obsolete.
Cause & Effect
Truancy has become a major issue in many schools that can be solved by extending the time between classes and assigning lunch detention for students who are late.
Problem & Solution
Although both depend on internal combustion, the rotary automobile engine is a significant improvement over the conventional automobile engine.
Compare & Contrast
Cause & Effect
Steps for Writing an Essay
What is the purpose?
*Organize your ideas
*We have more knowledge than reader
* Factual but not opinion based
* Always cite your information
* Ensure your essay has all the components
* Remember that the thesis does not have to go at the end of paragraph 1
- expensive coffee representing lavish living
- doesn't try and get rid of him
- offers him food
2nd Body Paragraph
Topic Idea: Fear
- Mayor of New York City is moving homeless off the streets (q3)
- Hospitalized against their will
- We aren't born with compassion, it is learned
- Barbara describes how daily experiences lead to compassion
- Restates main points from prior paragraphs (french lady + mother example)
-Greek Example = CREDIBILITY
-Closes by leaving a rhetorical question to leave the reader to think
-Last Sentence: (Question 4): "This play doesn't end-and the player's can't go home"
1)What do the two men in Ascher's essay exemplify?
2) What assumptions does the author make about her audience?
3) What's the difference between