Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Kinds of Sentences
Transcript of Kinds of Sentences
2. Label your paper "Kinds of Sentences"
3. Anytime you see , copy what is in green. NOTES Types of Sentences Miss Gilbert A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought. Review I will take 3 guesses.
Raise your hand. What is a sentence? 1. capital letter at the beginning
2. punctuation mark at the end
5. complete thought 5 Parts of a Sentence 1. Capital Letter ALWAYS capitalize the first letter, even if it's an article (a, an, the). Example: Mrs. Tucker always wears cute shoes.
A basketball player will never be better than Kobe Bryant. 2. End Punctuation ALWAYS punctuate sentences.
The purpose of the sentence determines how it should be punctuated. Example: We are taking notes.
Are you taking notes?
Oh, how I love to take notes!
Take notes while I am teaching. 3. Subject subject = what the sentence is about Example: The University of Alabama is where I go to college.
Where will you go to college?
Your mom goes to college.
*Go to college. (you) 4.Verb verb = action or a state of being Example: The House at the End of the Street is now in theaters.
Isn't it a scary movie?
My fianc will scream like a girl. é 5. Complete thought A sentence must express a complete thought to make sense. Example: Does Hillcrest or Duncanville have a better football team?
The Eagles and Patriots will face off in multiple sports this year. 4 Kinds of
Sentences 1. A declarative sentence makes a statement. It ends with a period. 2. An interrogative sentence asks a question. It ends with a question mark. 3. An exclamatory sentence expresses strong feeling. It ends with an exclamation point. 4. An imperative sentence gives a command or makes a request. It ends with a period. Edgar Allan Poe wrote suspenseful short stories. Did Poe also write poetry? What a great writer Poe was! Read "The Pit and the Pendulum." There are 4 kinds of sentences. http://www.polleverywhere.com/multiple_choice_polls/MTM4NTU4NjY5Mw Take out your cell phone or your color response cards. What are the 5 parts of a sentence? capital letter punctuation subject verb complete thought What are the 4 kinds of sentences? declarative interrogative exclamatory imperative makes a statement asks a question expresses strong feeling gives a command @ the beginning @ the end what it's about shows action needed to make sense Start a new text to phone # 37607 Edgar Allan Poe was born in Boston in 1809. Did you know that Poe lost his parents at a very early age? How awful that must have been! The boy lived with his foster parents. Wasn't his foster father a wealthy merchant? Poe was raised in Richmond, Virginia. He attended college briefly. Did he enlist in the army? I can't believe that he went to West Point! Read a biography of Poe. Didn't he also edit magazines? What impressive writing Poe produced! Poe was a master of the short story How greatly he influenced other writers Tell me what you think about his writing Poe died at the age of forty Isn't that very young