Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Kinds of Sentences
Transcript of Kinds of Sentences
2. Label your paper "Kinds of Sentences"
3. Anytime you see , copy what is in green. NOTES Types of Sentences Miss Gilbert A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought. Review I will take 3 guesses.
Raise your hand. What is a sentence? 1. capital letter at the beginning
2. punctuation mark at the end
5. complete thought 5 Parts of a Sentence 1. Capital Letter ALWAYS capitalize the first letter, even if it's an article (a, an, the). Example: Mrs. Tucker always wears cute shoes.
A basketball player will never be better than Kobe Bryant. 2. End Punctuation ALWAYS punctuate sentences.
The purpose of the sentence determines how it should be punctuated. Example: We are taking notes.
Are you taking notes?
Oh, how I love to take notes!
Take notes while I am teaching. 3. Subject subject = what the sentence is about Example: The University of Alabama is where I go to college.
Where will you go to college?
Your mom goes to college.
*Go to college. (you) 4.Verb verb = action or a state of being Example: The House at the End of the Street is now in theaters.
Isn't it a scary movie?
My fianc will scream like a girl. é 5. Complete thought A sentence must express a complete thought to make sense. Example: Does Hillcrest or Duncanville have a better football team?
The Eagles and Patriots will face off in multiple sports this year. 4 Kinds of
Sentences 1. A declarative sentence makes a statement. It ends with a period. 2. An interrogative sentence asks a question. It ends with a question mark. 3. An exclamatory sentence expresses strong feeling. It ends with an exclamation point. 4. An imperative sentence gives a command or makes a request. It ends with a period. Edgar Allan Poe wrote suspenseful short stories. Did Poe also write poetry? What a great writer Poe was! Read "The Pit and the Pendulum." There are 4 kinds of sentences. http://www.polleverywhere.com/multiple_choice_polls/MTM4NTU4NjY5Mw Take out your cell phone or your color response cards. What are the 5 parts of a sentence? capital letter punctuation subject verb complete thought What are the 4 kinds of sentences? declarative interrogative exclamatory imperative makes a statement asks a question expresses strong feeling gives a command @ the beginning @ the end what it's about shows action needed to make sense Start a new text to phone # 37607 Edgar Allan Poe was born in Boston in 1809. Did you know that Poe lost his parents at a very early age? How awful that must have been! The boy lived with his foster parents. Wasn't his foster father a wealthy merchant? Poe was raised in Richmond, Virginia. He attended college briefly. Did he enlist in the army? I can't believe that he went to West Point! Read a biography of Poe. Didn't he also edit magazines? What impressive writing Poe produced! Poe was a master of the short story How greatly he influenced other writers Tell me what you think about his writing Poe died at the age of forty Isn't that very young