Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
END OF YEAR HODGEPODGE
Transcript of END OF YEAR HODGEPODGE
20th Century Trends
Science & Technology
1. Where did researchers work on a top secret rocketry project?
2. Define cold war:
THE UNEASY PEACE AFTER WWII’S RIVALRY BETWEEN THE US AND SOVIET UNION, THE WAR WITHOUT
3. How did the development of the atom bomb change international relations forever?
NO NATION COULD HOPE TO ESCAPE
FALLOUT (radioactive particles carried by global winds)
4. What is the United Nations?
5. As the Soviet Union encouraged the spread of communism, what role did the US play?
THE GUARDIAN OF
6. Define totalitarian:
GOV THAT CONTROLS ALL ASPECTS OF
7. What was the “iron curtain?”
CURTAIN THAT KEPT DEMOCRACY FROM REACHING SATELLITES (nations ruled by another country) THAT THE SOVIETS HAD SET UP AROUND THEIR WESTERN BORDER
8. Describe the Cold War.
Between whom? US AND
1. Arms race (define): PRODUCING VAST STORES OF
2. Race to space TOPSAIL
NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND
Why was it created?
TO MEET THE CHALLENGE TO AMERICAN
What do they do?
, DEVELOPED SPACE CAPSULE, RAN TEST FLIGHTS
What happened in July 1969?
WE LANDED THE FIRST MAN ON THE
Name the first space shuttle
2. Name 3 communications devises that have been invented since WWII
3. Name medical advances that have occurred since WWII.
(1) NEW DRUGS
(3) POWERFUL MICROSCOPES
(4) MINIATURIZED EQUIPMENT
4. The War on Drugs most of the money was spent on:
(1) TRY TO PREVENT
(2) TO CATCH THOSE WHO
DRUGS ON THE STREET
Money may have been more effective if it had been used to:
(1) EDUCATION TO
(2) PROGRAMS TO HELP
Why did the program have little or no effect?
WHEN SMUGGLERS OR DEALERS ARE CAUGHT, OTHERS ARE READY TO
THEIR PLACE, LURED BY LARGE PROFITS
5. What is AIDS?
CAUSED BY A DEADLY VIRUS THAT ATTACKS THE BODY’S ABILITY TO FIGHT
When was it identified?
What does the acronym stand for?
Vol XCIII, No. 311
The 20th Century & War
Time for Change
1. In what ways did the world shrink in the 20th century?
AND PEOPLE TRAVELED FASTER AND FURTHER THAN EVER BEFORE
(2) ADVANCES IN
LET PEOPLE KNOW ALMOST INSTANTLY WHAT WAS HAPPENING ELSEWHERE
2. What is the result of a shrinking world?
AMERICANS BECAME MORE AWARE OF
AND EVENTS AROUND THE
3. What was the biggest underlying cause of WWI
FOR RAW MATERIALS AND CUSTOMERS
4. Which countries were on the . . .
, OTTOMAN EMPIRE, BULGARIA
SERBIA, FRANCE, GREAT BRITAIN, RUSSIA,
1. What was the symbol of the Cold War?
THE BERLIN WALL
—IT HAS BEEN TORN DOWN. It divided the Communist east side and the Democratic west side into these 2 countries (East Germany and West Germany)
2. What effects did the end of the Cold War have on the US?
(1) SCIENTISTS FUNDS SHRUNK FOR
(2) PLANTS THAT PRODUCED WEAPONS CUT BACK
AND LAID OFF WORKERS
(3) STORES IN MILITARY TOWNS LOST MONEY WHEN BASES WERE
(a person who is not a member of the military) WHO WORKED ON BASES LOST THEIR JOBS
(1) AMERICAN BUSINESSES HAD HUGE NEW
IN THE NEWLY OPENED COUNTRIES
3. Gulf War:
Where? PERSIAN GULF--IRAQ
Why? IRAQ TRYING TO TAKE OVER
Winner? UNITED NATIONS
END OF YEAR HODGEPODGE
5. Name some inventions and/or improvements that came about during WWI.
(2) POISON GAS
(Soldiers dug long trenches in order to be protected from enemy bullets. This is where they lived during the fighting)
6. Name the treaty that ended WWI and explain why it was called such.
OF VERSAILLES BECAUSE IT WAS SIGNED IN THE PALACE OF VERSAILLES
The Progressive Movement
1. What is the main idea of the Progressive Movement?
IT INTRODUCED SEVERAL
THAT INCREASED THE POWER OF THE PEOPLE IN
2. What are the Muckrakers?
UNETHICAL AND ILLEGAL PRACTICES IN INDUSTRY, GOV, AND SOCIETY. THEY EXPOSED WRONG-DOINGS
3. Name 5 ways progressivism affected NC.
(a plan to set aside money for retirement) TO “DISABLED AND DESTITUTE VETERANS
(2) CREATED OR SUPPORTED ORPHANAGES AND INSTITUTES FOR MENTALLY ILL
LAWS MAKING IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR AA TO VOTE (SET BACK)
(the period between 1919 and 1933 when the manufacture, purchase, transportation, import, export, and sale of alcoholic beverages was prohibited by the Volstead Act which enforced the 18th Amendment which WAS Prohibition. Prohibition was repealed in 1933.
(5) REDUCED THE
WEEK AND ENACTED CHILD LABOR LAWS
4. What 2 states did NOT ratify the 19th Amendment (women’s suffrage)?
5. Describe the 7 changes that occurred in the “Roaring 20’s.”
(1) FEAR OF
—AMERICANS FEARED WE’D BE TAKEN OVER BY
(2) SET IMMIGRATION LIMITS—SET THE TOTAL # OF IMMIGRANTS THAT COULD COME TO THE
EACH YEAR AND THE # ALLOWED TO ENTER FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRIES
(3) CITIZENSHIP FOR NA—FELT THEY SHOULD HAVE
RIGHTS B/C THEY FOUGHT IN THE WAR EVEN THOUGH THEY WEREN’T CITIZENS
(4) CIVIL RIGHTS FOR AA—AFTER WAR, AA’S WERE
AGAINST. THE NAACP HELPED THEM GAIN THEIR RIGHTS BY SUING IN STATE AND FEDERAL COURT
(5) VOTING RIGHTS FOR WOMEN—GAINED IN 1920 BY THE
(6) BEGINNING OF THE CONSUMER AGE—FACTORIES POURED OUT CONSUMER
AND AS INDUSTRIES BOOMED PROVIDING GOOD WAGES SO PEOPLE COULD AFFORD TO BUY ITEMS
(7) CREDIT—PEOPLE WENT INTO DEBT SPENDING MORE MONEY THAN THEY
The Great Depression
1. What ended economic hardship?
2. When WWII ended, what happened to the US?
(1) EMERGED AS THE
DEMOCRATIC NATION IN THE WORLD
(2) FACED A COMMUNIST BLOC OF NATIONS LED BY THE
3. Describe what happened on Black Thursday.
AFTER PRICES PLUNGED, PEOPLE RUSHED TO SELL THEIR STOCKS, THOSE WHO COULD NOT SELL RUSHED TO BANKS TO WITHDRAW MONEY TO PAY FOR
. THOUSANDS OF BANKS
DOWN AND PEOPLE LOST EVERYTHING.
4. Define depression:
SHARP DOWNTURN IN THE
5. Name 3 causes of the Great Depression.
—INVESTORS LOST A LOT OF MONEY
, OTHER BUSINESSES SHUT DOWN
6. What were the results of the Great Depression in NC?
(1) PEOPLE LOST THEIR
(2) CRIPPLED NC’S
(3) PEOPLE WERE HUNGRY AND THEY
7. Describe the Dust Bowl:
WINDS WHIPPED ACROSS THE PLAINS STIRRING UP HUGE CLOUDS OF
. MANY FAMILIES LEFT FOR CA BUT COULDN’T FIND JOBS THERE.
The New Deal
1. Describe the New Deal
PROGRAM BY FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT INTENDED TO END THE
2. Define Hundred Days.
A SPECIAL SESSION OF CONGRESS IN WHICH
SENT 15 BILLS TO CONGRESS TO START THE NEW DEAL
3. What were some downfalls of the New Deal?
(1) SOME OF THE PROGRAMS COST THE GOV
(2) SOME PROJECTS DIDN’T
4. What was the Live at Home program?
ENCOURAGED FARMERS TO GROW MORE FOOD FOR THEMSELVES AND
GOV AGENTS TRAVELED TO SHOW PEOPLE HOW TO
5. What finally ended the Great Depression?
THE OUTBREAK OF
NC in WWII
1. What were the waters off of Cape Hatteras called, and why were they called that?
“TORPEDO JUNCTION” B/C OF GERMAN
2. What helped pull NC out of the Depression?
—SHIPYARDS, TEXTILES TO MAKE PARACHUTES, ETC.
3. What did some manufacturers do to help with the war?
CONVERTED FROM PEACETIME GOODS TO
4. Where did NC rank for farm output?
3RD OR 4TH IN THE
5. What started the fashion that has lasted to this day of women wearing pants?
WOMEN HAD TO WEAR SLACKS FOR
REASONS IN MANUFACTURING POSITIONS
6. What are ration books?
BOOKS OF COUPONS PROVIDED BY FED GOV TO DEAL WITH WARTIME
7. When and what is D-Day?
JUNE 6, 1944. ALLIES INVADE NAZI-OCCUPIED EUROPE IN
8. What finally drew WWII to a close?
WE DROPPED A BOMB ON HIROSHIMA AND NAGASAKI
1. What happened in the US after WWII?
IT ENTERED A PERIOD OF RAPID
2. In what ways did the US change during the second half of the 20th century?
(1) WOMEN’S ROLES CHANGED AT HOME AND AT
(2) AA’S AND OTHER GROUPS MADE SIGNIFICANT GAINS IN STRUGGLE FOR
INNOVATIONS MADE IMPORTANT CHANGES IN EVERYTHING
3. How did the nation’s economy shift after 1945?
FROM MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES TO
INDUSTRIES (jobs such as waitresses, beauticians, healthcare workers, childcare, mechanics, teachers, anyone who provides a service for someone)
4. How did a woman’s role change?
THE NUMBER OF WOMEN WORKERS
5. What was the result of production growth and an increase in services?
GAVE AMERICANS THE MOST COMFORTABLE
IN THE WORLD
6. What was the result of many families having more money?
BUYING POWER(kids see something they want, and parents get it for them) INCREASED. MAKERS OF JEANS, RADIOS, ETC.
7. Describe the “movement” of Americans.
Early 1900’s: where? FARMS TO
After WWII: where?
Minorities: where? INTO
8. What caused the population of the US to grow by more than 50 million people?
(the generation of people born after WWII, this was a temporary increase in the birth rate) The
generation in American history. Caused for the creation of
9. Describe the new immigration law passed in the 1960’s.
STILL LIMITED THE # OF IMMIGRANTS, BUT NO LONGER PLAYED
10. Interstate Highway Act 1956—made for the
of interstates. What makes this different from before? No
lights or stop signs. These are direct routes that sped traveling time up. People vacation like never before and long haul trucking moved
faster than any other time period prior to this in history.
1. How did Truman help keep war-torn nations out of communist control?
BY OFFERING A MASSIVE PACKAGE OF
2. How were 2 Germanys created?
SOVIETS REFUSED TO GIVE UP LAND ACQUIRED IN THE WAR SO GERMANY SPLIT INTO DEMOCRATIC
AND COMMUNIST EAST GERMANY
3. Give info on the Sputnik I.
Who created it?
What was it? 1ST
What did it do? GATHERED INFO AS IT CIRCLED THE
4. When did the US put humans on the moon?
5. Describe the Cuban Missile Crisis. US DISCOVERED THE SOVIETS HAD MISSILES IN
ORDERED SHIPS TO SEAL OFF THE ISLAND. FOR DAYS WE TEETERED ON THE EDGE OF WAR. END: THE SOVIETS PULLED OUT THE MISSILES
What divided them? SOVIETS REFUSED TO GIVE UP LANDS IN THE
AT THE END OF WAR. US BACKED
Why was there a Korean War? N KOREANS LAUNCHED AN ATTACK TO
Who won the war?
SIDE, THEY REMAIN DIVIDED
What caused the civil war? CONFLICTS BETWEEN COMMUNISTS AND
Why did we get involved? B/C IT SEEMED COMMUNIST NORTH WOULD
Was it a quick victory as expected? NO, IT DRAGGED ON FOR
Did Americans agree on the war? NO, IT CAUSED DEEP
Who won the war?
How many Americans served in the war?
How many Americans died in the war?
1. What limited opportunities for education and jobs?
2. Define segregated.
3. Plessy vs. Ferguson COURT CASE UPHOLDING THE “
BUT EQUAL” PUBLIC PLACES FOR BLACKS AND WHITES
4. Name some ways that African Americans were segregated from whites.
(3) BUSES/TRAIN SEATS
(4) RESTROOMS/WATER FOUNTAINS
Where the separate facilities equal to those of the whites? NO, THEY WERE
5. Describe what the following did:
Rosa Parks REFUSED TO GIVE UP HER
SEAT TO A WHITE MAN
Brown v Board of Education of Topeka RULED
IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS UNCONSTITUTIONAL. BROUGHT AN END TO PLESSY VS. FERGUSON
Martin Luther King Jr. USED NON-VIOLENT METHODS AND LED MANY
6. After Brown v Board of Education, what occurred?
•AA STUDENTS FOUND ANGRY CROWDS WHEN THEY TRIED TO GO TO THE
•SOME COMMUNITIES TRIED TO
THEIR SCHOOLS RATHER THAN TO ADMIT AA
7. What was the March on Washington?
THE LARGEST PROTEST HELD BY MLK JR. WITH MORE THAN 200,000 PEOPLE/”I HAVE A
8. What types of laws did Congress pass in the 1960’s?
(1) ILLEGAL TO
A JOB OR RIGHT TO VOTE BASED ON ANCESTORS, RACE, OR SEX
(2) INTEGRATED SCHOOLS ARE ONLY ONES TO RECEIVE
(3) COMPANIES HAD TO OFFER
1. Define Hispanic Americans:
PEOPLE WHO COME FROM
-SPEAKING COUNTRIES OR THOSE WHOSE PARENTS OR ANCESTORS DID
Who are the 2 largest groups of Hispanic Americans?
(2) PUERTO RICANS
2. Define bilingual education:
TEACH IN CHILD’S OWN
AS WELL AS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
What did the Supreme Court rule about bilingual education?
PROVIDE THIS ACCOMMODATION
3. Native Americans—how they originally lived? THEY WERE ABLE TO USE ALL THE CONTINENT’S LAND AND
What happened to Native Americans by the 1880’s?
THEY WERE FORCED ONTO
BY THE US GOV
Describe Native Americans living conditions today.
LIVE ON OR NEAR A RESERVATION
(2) MANY LIVE IN EXTREME
What happened to Native Americans by the 1970’s?
SEVERAL COURT DECISIONS FORCED THE GOV TO HONOR OLD TREATIES EITHER BY PAYING NA FOR
LAND OR BY RETURNING THEIR LAND
4. In what ways were women not treated equally to men as late as the 1960’s?
(1) EMPLOYERS PAID THEM ½ OF WHAT
FROM MANY CAREERS
5. What is the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
TREATMENT B/C OF SEX
6. What is the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA)?
A PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT THAT WOULD’VE PROHIBITED
BASED ON SEX
Why did people disapprove it?
(1) IT WOULD DESTROY THE TRADITIONAL
(2) RESULT IN WOMEN SERVING IN
(3) HARM WOMEN
Was it approved in the end?
What did Congress do without the ERA?
PASSED LAWS GUARANTEEING
JOB OPPORTUNITIES AND EQUAL PAY
7. What occurred to help physically challenged Americans during the 1970’s?
(1) CANNOT BE DENIED JOBS THEY ARE QUALIFIED FOR B/C THEY ARE PHYSICALLY
BUILDINGS MUST BE ACCESSIBLE
Examples: (1) RAMPS FOR
CHAIRS (2) BRAILLE #’S ON ELEVATOR BUTTONS
Civil Rights Movement
1. Describe 1 downfall to the growth of industry and how is it being solved?
AND FASTER PACE OF LIFE
Solution: LEARN NEW SKILLS TO KEEP UP WITH THE RAPIDLY
2. Because NC’s law segregated schools, what were African Americans forced to do?
DESIGNATED TO THEM
3. When was the first attempt at integrating schools in NC?
4. What did the Pearsall Plan call for? DELAY PROCESS OF
Layout of plan:
(1) ALLOWED SCHOOLS TO
RATHER THAN INTEGRATE
(2) ALLOWED STATE LEGISLATURE TO GIVE PARENTS MONEY TO PUT KIDS IN
Was it put into practice?
What did it help with? QUIETING THE
5. What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 call for?
FUNDS TO BE WITHHELD IF SCHOOLS DIDN’T INTEGRATE
6. Define busing:
TRANSPORTATION OF STUDENTS FROM 1 SCHOOL
TO ANOTHER AS A MEANS OF INTEGRATION
7. Define sit-ins:
A MEANS OF A PEACEFUL
8. What did the Civil Rights Movement lead to in NC?
**Add: Jim Crow Laws are abolished (remember separate but equal laws from Reconstruction Era)
1. Define dictator:
RULER WHO EXERCISES ABSOLUTE
OVER THEIR COUNTRY
2. Who were the 3 dictators that America was uncomfortable with in the 1940’s?
(2) MUSSOLINI (3) HIROHITO
3. Who had the Great Depression affected?
4. In the desperate years of the Depression, what did the leaders who emerged in Italy, Germany, and Japan do?
FED ON PEOPLE’S
OR HELD OUT DREAMS OF GLORY
5. In a campaign of ethnic hatred, what did Hitler set out to do?
6. Define Communism. ECONOMIC SYSTEM IN WHICH THE GOV OWNS AND OPERATES ALL ASPECTS OF
7. What was the first battle of WWII on American soil?
ON DECEMBER 7TH 1941
1. What event ended the Great Depression?
2. What happened to the US after WWII?
3. Name the 3 results of the Great Depression.
4. Explain Hundred Days:
1. Who had the Great Depression affected?
2. What was the first battle of WWII on American soil?
3. What was Torpedo Junction?
4. Why did manufactures change what they made?
5. What did women start to wear?
1. In what ways did the US change during the second half of the 20th century?
2. How did our economy shift?
3. What does children’s buying power mean?
4. Explain the movement of people starting in the early 1900’s.
1. Describe a cold war.
2. What is the United Nations (in your own words)
3. What was the Sputnik I?
4. What happened in the Cuban Missile Crisis (own words)
5. Who won the Vietnam War?
1. What was the problem that limited opportunities for African Americans?
2. Explain Plessy vs. Ferguson:
3. What did Brown vs. Board of Education do?
4. Besides African Americans, what other groups of people were fighting for their rights during this time period?
1. When was the first attempt at integrating schools in NC? What happened?
2. What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 say?
3. What is busing?
4. What is a sit-in?
1. Name a communication device and a medical advance that has been developed since WWII.
2. What was the money spent on in the War on Drugs?
3. What was the Berlin Wall?
4. Where was the Gulf War fought? Who won?