Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Static and Van Der Graaf
Transcript of Static and Van Der Graaf
To investigate examples of static, both good and bad
To observe static electricity storage and discharge
What will we learn??
An atom is made up of two parts - a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons. In an uncharged (neutral) atom there are the same number of positive and negative charges.
Van der graaf generator
write down how it works
How BRAVE are you?
Static, circuits and Van Der Graaf
What is Static electricity?
When an perspex rod is rubbed with a duster, electrons are transferred from the rod onto the duster, making the rod positively charged. The rod can then attract or repel other things but it is NOT a metal and magnetic. This is static electricity. Electricity that is NOT moving.
Shocks from a car
Let's make some circuits
Watch Mr Harvey
The static electricity can DISCHARGE if the objects TOUCH or get close. This is seen in lightning for example. Then they both become neutral.