Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
TV SERIES PRESENTATION
Transcript of TV SERIES PRESENTATION
How many American TV Series are there ?
Do you know these tv shows ?
Game of thrones
True detective (HBO)
The Office (US)
New Girl ( FOX )
The mentalist (CBS)
Brooklyn nine nine (FOX)
American TV shows have existed since the birth of this mass media in the United States. These fictions have evolved along with the American society for 60 years. As commercial and artistic works produced for an increasingly competitive market, they are witnesses but also mirrors of the changes of “the American mind” and public opinion. Television in America has given common cultural references and common memories to a very diverse population, scattered over half a continent.
Before 1940: Start of television
First private channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, DuMont).
Only direct emissions : theatre, sport, news...
The first golden age : the 1950s
America seen through TV series
The US culture and way of life:
A self-loathing, alcoholic writer attempts to repair his damaged relationships with his daughter and her mother while combating sex addiction, a budding drug problem, and the seeming inability to avoid making bad decisions.
We can learn about america's feeling on important subjects
Other cultures :
Mexicans : Breaking Bad
Police work, FBI, CIA ..
TV series' business
Most television networks throughout the world are 'commercial', dependent on selling advertising time or acquiring sponsors. Broadcasting executives' main concern over their programming is on audience size.
In the United States, the average broadcast network drama costs $3 million an episode to produce
Here are the most expensive TV series
ever made :
10. Terra Nova (2011): $4 million per episode
9. Deadwood (2004-06): $4.5 million per episode
8. True Blood (2008-14): $5 million per episode
7. Boardwalk Empire (2010-14): $5 million per episode
6. Game of Thrones (2011-present): $6 million per episode
5. Camelot (2011): $7 million per episode (Starz)
4. Rome (2005-07): $9 million per episode
3. Marco Polo (2014-present): $9 million per episode
2. Friends (1994-2004): $10 million per episode (season 10)
1. ER (1994-2009): $13 million per episode (at its peak)
TV series : American point of view
- At least 17 episode per day
-Tv series are scheduled on every channel
- Americans are proud and love their TV series.
People are more attracted and intersted in them.
In 1950s : 3 TV series
In 2000s: 50 TV series
1. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) 23.1 million
2. NCIS (CBS) 22.4 million
3. The Walking Dead (AMC) 18.3 million
4. NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) 17.9 million
5. The Blacklist (NBC) 16.9 million
6. Person of Interest (CBS) 16.2 million
7. Blue Bloods (CBS) 15.2 million
8. Criminal Minds (CBS) 14.4 million
9. Castle (ABC) 14.3 million
10. Modern Family (ABC) 14.1 million
America's Most Watched: The Top 10 Series of the 2013-2014 TV Season
TV series : International point of view
-American TV Series are the best in the world
-They show that America is the greatest country in the world and that they are always the heroes.
Television series provide a steady stream of racial stereotypes, which actively creates or reinforces audiences' existing perceptions.
Top 10 : the most downloaded series in France in 2013
1. Game of Thrones (5,900,000)
2. Breaking Bad (4,200,000)
3. The Walking Dead (3,600,000)
4. The Big Bang Theory (3,400,000)
5. Dexter (3,100,000)
6. How I Met Your Mother (3,000,000)
7. Suits (2,600,000)
8. Homeland (2,400,000)
9. Vikings (2,300,000)
10. Arrow (2,200,000)
+ Many western and sitcoms
+ First Sci-Fi series
+ Quality in terms of writing,
and actor's performance.
The series from the 60's and 70's
+ Series become a way to broach big issues
- Space conquest
- Death penalty
- Immigration quotas
- Medical ethics
- Women's empowerment
- Racial issues
+ Several new kinds of series : Fantastic,
1980s :The second golden age
+ Taboos are broken
- politically incorrectness
- in detective series
- in medical series
Huge impact of internet
"You know nothing Jon Snow"
"It's gonna be a legen-wait for it-dary"
"Oh. My. God !!"
"Oh my God ! They killed Kenny"
"Say my name"
"This tape will self distruct in 5 seconds"
3 different types of series :
-soap operas (the Young and the Restless...)
-sitcoms (Friends, How I met your Mother...)
-dramas (NCIS, Dr House, Breaking Bad...)