Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Health Basics - The Foundations of Health
Transcript of Health Basics - The Foundations of Health
Health is defined as a combination
of physical, mental/emotional, and social
These three aspects have led to the creation
of the Health triangle.
The choices that you make on a daily
basis will affect your overall health either
in a positive way or negatively.
Can you name some positive
Now how about some
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Choosing yogurt or fresh fruit over
chips or cookies for a snack
- Going to bed when you are tired instead
of watching Netflix all night
- Playing video games all day instead of going to the gym or exercising
- Overindulging a sweet tooth
- Having unprotected sex with multiple
People who are health literate are able to
understand their options and make wise choices
What does it mean to be health literate?
Health literacy is your ability to learn about and understand
basic health information and services and how to use these
resources to promote your health and wellness.
Criteria for being Health Literate also
includes the following characteristics:
1) being a critical thinker and problem solver
2) a responsible and productive citizen
3) a self-directed learner
4) an effective communicator.
Being healthy does not guarantee that you will not get sick, but it will certainly help to promote a quick recovery.
However, being healthy does mean that you know various strategies when making decisions that are related to your health needs and risk factors as young adults.
Achieving wellness is not a one time deal.
it requires an ongoing, lifelong commitment to physical, mental/emotional, and social health.
Wellness is defined as an overall state of well-being or total health.
It is then further broken down into 5 different dimensions.
The 5 dimensions of Wellness are:
Everything and anything that we encounter will affect
and fit into at least one of the 5 dimensions.
1) Social Wellness - This is how a person contributes to their
environment and community. It also includes how you build better living spaces and social networks. This dimension encourages contributing to one's own environment and community.
2) Physical Wellness - This is the combination of good exercise and eating habits, along with taking precautions for self-care, and receiving appropriate health screenings throughout our lifetime. This also includes knowing how to care for minor illnesses and when professional medical attention is needed.
3) Intellectual Wellness - This dimension recognizes one's creative
and stimulating mental activities as well as expanding knowledge
and skills while sharing one's gifts with others. This person is open
to new ideas, thinks critically on a higher level, and seeks out new challenges
with intellectual and creative pursuits.
4) Emotional Wellness - This dimension includes the capacity to manage one's feelings and related behaviors, including the ability to cope effectively with stress. People who are emotionally well have the ability to express their feelings freely, manage their feelings effectively, and openly accept a wide range of feelings in themselves, as well as others.
5) Spiritual Wellness - The spiritual dimension recognizes our
search for meaning and purpose in human existence. This
does not necessarily mean you are religious, but that it is
better to ponder the meaning of life and to be tolerant of
the beliefs of others than to close our minds and be intolerant.
Those who are spiritually well will take time out of their day for
spiritual growth and learning and have a clear and strong sense
of what is right and wrong and act accordingly.
Influences on your health status include:
Lifestyle Factors are habits and personal
behaviors related to the way a person
lives their life.
1) will help determine your individual control over health risks.
2) are changeable and can be controlled.
3) can be linked to specific diseases.
- For example: smoking is linked to lung cancer.
Physical Health - this part of the triangle has to do with
how well your body functions. When you are in good
physical health your body has enough energy to perform
activities of daily life, the ability to cope with challenges and stresses, avoid injuries, and resist diseases.
What are some factors that contribute
to being physically healthy?
- Adequate sleep and rest
- Nutritious meals
- Drinking enough water
- Being physically active on a regular basis
Mental/Emotional Health - Your feelings about yourself,
how well you meet the demands of daily life, and your ability to process information are all important factors of mental/emotional health. These people enjoy challenges, accept responsibility for their actions, and stand up for their beliefs and values.
What are some factors that contribute to
being mentally/emotionally healthy?
- In touch with your feelings
- Can express them in an appropriate way
- Can deal with the frustrations of life without being overwhelmed by them
- Avoid dwelling on negative thoughts
- Use positive thoughts and actions to move forward and overcome life's obstacles
Social Health - Involves the way that you get along and
communicate with others. It includes your ability to
make and keep friends.
What are some other factors that
contribute to being socially healthy?
- Working and playing cooperatively
- Seeking and lending support
- Communicating well
- Showing respect and care for yourself and others
The three elements of health are interconnected
and should be kept in balance (like a triangle).
There are a number of other lifestyle
factors that promote good health.
These factors include the following:
1) Getting 8 - 10 hours of sleep each night
2) Starting each day with a healthy breakfast
3) Eating a variety of nutritious foods each day
4) Being physically active for at least 30 minutes
5) Maintaining a healthy weight
6) Avoiding tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs
7) Abstaining from sexual activity; protecting yourself
8) Managing stress appropriately
9) Maintain positive relationships
10) Practicing safe behaviors to prevent injury
Predisposing factors are things that we cannot change.
These factors include:
- heredity and genetics
- your age
- your race or ethnicity
- your gender*
Health Information - Criteria to follow while evaluating.
You need to look for three things:
1) Is it RELIABLE?
2) Is it ACCURATE?
3) Is it CURRENT?
Reliability is extremely important. Some questions to ask yourself before citing a source:
1) Is there an author?
2) What are their credentials? (PhD, MD, RN)
3) Is it recommended and reviewed by their peers?
Accuracy is another important component of
proper health information evaluation. Some things
to keep in mind are:
1) Does this go against the current trend?
2) Are there references to other reliable sources?
Finally there is the question of how current the information is.
The health field is constantly changing and so is it's information.
Is the information you found current?
1) When was the article published or posted?
2) Are there current statistics or are they outdated?
3) Has it been updated within the past 3 years?
Some examples of reliable, accurate, and current
sources on the internet include the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Cancer Society
- Center for Disease Control
What are the Nation's Health Goals?
Healthy People 2020 is a nationwide health promotion
and disease prevention plan designed to serve as a
guide for improving the health status of all the people
in the United States.
It has established 4 overarching goals to work towards until 2020:
1) Attain higher quality, and longer lives free
of preventable disease, disability, injury, and
2) Achieve health equity, eliminate disparities,
and improve the health of all groups.
3) Create social and physical environments
that promote good health for all.
4) Promote a high quality of life, healthy development,
and healthy behaviors across all stages of life
These lifestyle factors:
1) What does it mean to be Healthy?
2) How would you describe the
characteristics associated with being
3) Why should teens and young adults
have a comprehensive understanding
of how to live a Healthy lifestyle?
Wellness in Your Lives
Identify factors that could influence
your Health Status.
This program was established in the 1970's
with "Healthy People 1980"