Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Maria Full Of Grace
Transcript of Maria Full Of Grace
and Chris Keller Feminism Immigration Final Thoughts/Questions Between 1993 and 1999 Colombia became the main producer of cocaine in the world.
As of 2011, Colombia remains the world's largest cocaine producer.
1 out of 3 of today's presenters has used cocaine regularly.. Background The Drug Trade Latin American Family Structure Machismo Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema The Bechdel Test •“There’s a certain machismo in Colombia and a certain place that women frequently occupy in society. It’s not enormously common for radical American feminism to be in Colombia, even though there are plenty of women there who are very strong and do stand up. Maria is created by certain circumstances in the culture, where the normal thing for a girl to do would be to get married to her boyfriend and have a family, and simply put up with a terrible job.” –Joshua Marston, Director Essay by British feminist film theorist Laura Mulvey
Believed that historically (in film) women are used to derive pleasure for male audiences
Mainstream film has 3 "looks":
The camera: as it records the event
The audience: as we watch the action unfold
The characters: looking at each other
Typical film downplays the first 2, and subordinate them to the third
The look that remains is almost always from a man to a woman (called the "male gaze"). Ex. Every Hitchcock film ever and adult human reproductive documentaries (porn) As film changed, so did the use of the "male gaze"... Used to identify gender bias in film
Three simple requirements:
1. Film has to have at least two [named] female characters...
2. Who talk to each other...
3. About something other than a man (for at least 15 seconds)
Most films fail the test, including those with predominately female casts 1. What are your thoughts on the ending? Does it appear to be a "happy" ending?
2. Realistically, what do you think will happen next for Maria?
3. Is Maria better off in the U.S.?
4. How does this film's depiction of women differ from that of most films?
5. How do you think this movie would differ if it was made by a South American director? A female director? Machismo (or machoism): The sense of being thought of as masculine or manly.
Focus on honor and chivalry.
Men are to provide and protect the women.
"The tragedy of machisimo is that a man is never quite man enough." -Germaine Greer Latin American families function differently from the typical American family. Generational gap? Abuela Madre Maria Diane Paquito 1st 2nd 3rd ¿Que te busca? 4th The American Dream What does it mean to an immigrant? Over 10% of suspected drug mules die en route to their destination. The ultimate price of the American Dream. Immigration 65% of Colombians in America are foreign-born, compared to 37% of all other Hispanic groups. In 2010, one out of every ten Colombian citizens were living abroad. In 2006 alone, over $4.2 billion
was remitted back to Colombia. $1,830 per year $5,000 - $8,000 per trip The Real "Don Fernando" Orlando Tobon Known as the "Undertaker of Mules" Has buried over 300 mules in his 30 years