Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Effective Teachers in Context
Transcript of Effective Teachers in Context
90 minute Reading Block
What impacts student
learning the most?
Qualities of Effective
from the study
Job responsibilities and practices:
Who are they?
Student's impact on their own achievement:
student characteristics, learning style,
personality, disabilities, etc.
School impact on student achievement:
Peer impact on student achievement:
Impact on student achievement:
* Establishes an effective classroom culture and management approach.
* RELENTLESSLY enforces it over and over, slowly, patiently, circles back calmly and explains again.
* Gradually releases responsibility with continuous checks for understanding.
* takes notes and confers.
* creates interest: a question, an article, an artifact, etc.
* teacher talks for no more than 5-10 min before giving students an opportunity to process the information.
* uses white boards, thumbs up/down, multiple times in multiple ways.
* clear agenda posted
* essential agreements* * transitions
* high expectations for every student
* active, engaged students
* close, personal relationships
* endearing phrases; "Your best is good enough for me", "You are rocking it!", "It is high but I know you will get there..."
* plants, special indoor recess kits, realia, artifacts, joining them for a riddle at snack time,...
* Essential Agreements: "Let's review again..."
1. Work quietly
2. Listen to others
3. Be respectful
4. Have a positive attitude
5. Do personal best.
* "We will have to use some of our recess time to go over
our essential agreements. I'm disappointed, but we can fix it."
other report findings:
from the report:
birth order, genetics,
literacy of family,
Teacher match to school, environment, bullying,
resources, clubs, hidden curriculum/ethos,
PTO membership, rural/urban/Title I, school food,
leadership, access to translators, school spirit, etc.
on student achievement:
training, experience, match to job, interests,
skills, effectiveness, knowledge of content areas,
values, ongoing training, experience with English
Language Learners, experience with special
needs students, communication with care givers, etc.
* shows respect at all times
* thoughtful and reflective
* positive and excited about learning
* proactive about discipline: explains exactly
what is happening and what is expected.
* maintains momentum
* monitors and responds
* takes time to teach and reteach desired
* has high student engagement
* show respect and supports each student
* often soft spoken and quiet
* often are hard to find
Findings from Kathy Rieke and Jim
Frakes Fall, 2011 in the MSD of Washington Township, Indianapolis, Indiana.They observed 15 teachers with 90% or more passing rates on ISTEP for the last 2-3 years. Diversity was a characteristic at all of the schools in the study.
chart from The Great Lakes Center for Educational Research
peer buddies, sub-culture members,
urban/rural, siblings close in age, age
of peers, clubs, isolation/involvement
in the community/culture, etc.
part of 20% of overall school & teacher impact
What qualities do you think of when you think of who an effective teacher is? What are they like as people?
"I should not hear a
word in transition times."
"This is the rubric
I will use to grade
"Turn and talk
to your partner..."
SSR stand for?
That means by
"I know we just covered this,
but I would like to review one
"I'm always open
to learning more."
"This is so interesting,
I don't want you to miss it."
""What an awesome
comment!" "Cllip up!"
Per Marzano after the first year new
teachers feel a lot better. By Year 3
they max out on their fast growth.
In Year 5 they will show little growth
unless there is an intentional push to
School Adminstrators' Conference 2012 in Missouri: "What are the Current and Future Trends in Teacher Evaluation?"