Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Chapter 2 - Section 2 - The First Civilizations
Transcript of Chapter 2 - Section 2 - The First Civilizations
The Rise of Civilization
Simple Farming Villages
Organized - civilization
I think I see Sumer!
5 Traits of a Civilization:
places to store and trade surplus
large temples for prayer
Civilizations provide what other areas cannot
2. Specialized Workers...
made armor and weapons
priests and kings
Jobs other than farming
3. Complex Institutions...
religion and government
Helping society meet its needs
4. Record Keeping...
measure food supplies
Keeping track for the future
5. Improved Technology...
new tools and materials
You've got to see
the social classes!
Kings and Priests
Landowners, Government Officials and Rich Merchants
Artisans and Farmers
I can see
Priest ran the irrigation system
People payed the Priest with grain
Priest controlled the surplus
Priest controlled the wealth of the city-state
Sumerians come to
us to ask God for help.
We tell Sumerians
how to act.
Center of trade, learning and religion
We have many Gods and Goddesses-Polytheism
are of the...
We claim to have influence over the gods and can prevent bad things from happening.
Sometime city-states were attacked
I'll protect the city-state!
me your leader!
the people and be your King!
We'll keep evil away!
recording crops and trade
Chapter 2 - Section 2
The king will
maintain the canals.
The king will manage
the grain surplus
The king will
act as judge.
1. Advanced Cities...
Write the 5 things that make this ancient Mesopotamian city different than the old simple farming village.
1. Read through each of the 5 Trait of a Civilization
2. Write at least 2 reasons why each trait is the most important
3. Choose the trait that you think is the most important