Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Gorgoneion
Marconi, C. 2007. Temple decoration and cultural identity in the archaic Greek world : the metopes of Selinus p. 236 ff.
metope temple C
Gerrie van Rooijen
Visual Culture 15 Febr. 2012
JSTOR (online via UB)
New Pauly (online via UB)
Dyabola (online via UB)
LIMC: Lexicon iconographicum mythologiae classicae (S.ARCH 020-035)
Google Books/Google Scholar
Benton, S. 1954. The Gorgon plaque at Syracuse, Papers of the British School at Rome 22 (1954)
Phillies Howe, T. 1954. The Origin and Function of the Gorgon-Head, American Journal of Archaeology 58/ 3, 209-221
'Medusa on the temple of Artemis at Corfu' in: Bietak, M. 2001. Archaische griechische Tempel und Altagypten. 83ff.
1. What is it? Choose one of the objects below and describe it. (with picture)
2. Use this as an example to clarify your opinion on one of the concepts discussed in class. Could you distinguish this concept in the appearance and use of the gorgoneion?
To be hand in at the latest 22 febr.; max. 500 words; in Pdf with your last name as file name; mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the specific article/ chapter, mentioned below the pictures.
More literature on the Gorgo
New Pauly: Gorgoneion