Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Kite Runner Chapters 1-5
Transcript of The Kite Runner Chapters 1-5
"I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek"(Hosseini 1).
Amir trying to impress his Baba and make him feel proud to have a son like him
When ever Hassan does better than Amir, and Baba witnesses it, jealousy arises within him
"I wanted Baba all to myself. And besides, one time at Ghargh Lake, Hassan and I were skipping stones and Hassan made his stone skip eight times. The most I managed was five. Baba was there, watching, and he patted Hassan on the back. Even put his arm around his shoulder" (Hosseini 14-15).
Also, moments when Amir does something impressive such as writing his short stories, Baba pays least attention to him as it's difficult for him to acknowledge Amir because of how different he is
Main overall theme, is Amir trying to show his Baba, that he isn't just the boy who "killed" his mother
Some historical figures mentioned in this novel are
Wazir Akbar Khan
King Nadir Shah
The Kite Runner Chapters 1-5
"Then I glanced up and saw of pair of kites, red with long blue tails, soaring in the sky"(Hosseini 1).
"I can still see Hassan up on the tree, sunlight flickering through the leaves on
his almost perfectly round face, a face like a chinese doll chiseled from hardwood..." (Hosseini 3).
"Then, Baba and I drove off in his black Ford Mustang- a car that drew envious looks everywhere because it was the same car Steve McQueen had driven in Bullitt, a film that played in one theater for six months" (Hosseini 29).
In the beginning Hassan is physically weak, but later on shows he's courageous by threatening to aim his slingshot at Asee'fs eye, to protect Amir
Amir has tried his best in getting his father's attention but he eventually begins to feel very comfortable with Rahim Khan instead
Amir didn't think of Hassan as a friend at all, he was more confused on what exactly is Hassan to him
Eventually he begins to realize that he see's him more like a brother
Amir would always play with Hassan when other kids were not around, and when they were, Amir would always leave Hassan alone to play with the others, he does more of this later on
Amir always wanted to be strong, yet he's a coward who cannot stand up for himself in front of Aseef
That's until later on, Amir becomes slightly fearless of him
Amir is a very shy and negative person who has low confidence in himself, but later Amir starts writing short stories and becomes very passionate about it
Hassan was always a cheerful and playful type, but later on his happiness begins to fade, to the point where he somewhat forgets how to smile
"It appeared that on the same night I had learned about one of writer's objective,irony, I would also be introduced to one of it's pitfalls: the Plot Hole. Taught by Hassan, of all people. Hassan who couldn't read and had never written a single word in his entire life"
Hassan says, "if I may ask, why did the man kill his wife? In fact, why did he ever have to feel sad to shed tears? Couldn't he have just smelled an onion?" (Hosseini 36-37).
Wazir Akbar Khan
- Wazir Akbar Khan was an Afghan hero during 1840’s
- Wazir Akbar Khan was the son of Dost Mohammed
- He was also a military commander during the first Afghan
war (1839- 1842)
- He fought Sikhs and British-Indo army to defend Afghanistan
and also to reunite it.
- He was later killed by his own father Dost Mohammed Khan
in 1845 because he feared his ambitions for Afghanistan.
Historical event occurring and mentioned in chapter 1-5
1973 Afghanistan coup
1979 Russian Invasion
- Genghis Khan’s original name is Temujin
- He was born in the year 1162
- Genghis Khan was a Mongolian warrior and ruler
- He created one of world largest empire, also know as
the Mongol Empire,
- He created his empire by destroying individual tribes
in Northeast Asia
- He died in the year 1227
King Nadir Shah
- Nadir Shah was the king of Afghanistan.
- His full name is Mohammed Nadir Shah
- Nadir Shah was born on April 1883 in Dehra Dun, India
- Nadir Shah became the king of Afghanistan on October 15, 1929
and he was the king of Afghanistan until his assassination in
- He previously served as Minister of War, Afghan Ambassador
to France, and as a general in Afghanistan’s military
Mohammed Zahir Shah
- Mohammed Zahir Shah was the last king of Afghanistan
- He was the son of Mohammed Nadir Shah
- Mohammed Zahir Shah took over the throne after his dad Nadir Shah was
- He was the king of Afghanistan for 40 years
- Zahir Shah was kicked out when there was a Coup in Afghanistan
Coup Afghanistan 1973
- The coup was staged and led by Daoud khan who
wanted to get rid of Zahir Shah and to establish
Afghanistan as a republic country
- The coup was non-violent as Zahir shah was
kicked out and exiled from Kabul before there
was any bloodshed.
Mohammed Daoud Khan
- He was the first president of Afghanistan
- He was not not elected rather he made himself
- Daoud became the first president by
leading a coup and overthrowing the monarchy
of his first cousin Mohammed Zahir shah
- Daoud Khan made Afghanistan into a republic
- Daoud Khan came into power in 1973 and was
later assassinated in 1978 by communist party of
- Daoud Khan was the reason why Soviet union
Soviet union Invasion in 1979
- At the end of December 1979, the Soviet Union invaded
Afghanistan and within few weeks took control of
- The war lasted for 10 years and it ended it 1989
Who are the Pashtun people and Hazara people?
The Pashtun people, historically known as Afghans are an Indo-European ethnicity from the subgroup of Eastern Iranians.
Pashtun people are fighters and they are sunni muslim.
The Hazara people, are also known as Afghan and they are an ethnic group of Afghanistan,
The Hazara people are Shia muslim
Amir's mother's death
Hassan's mother ran away and left him a few days after he was born
Baba did all the things people claimed he couldn't do
Amir learns something new about sin
Amir fails to please his father
Amir writes his first short story and Rahim Khan enjoys it
Hassan and Amir encounter Assef, Wali, and Kamal
Baba's life-changing birthday gift for Hassan
Baba – Father
Hazara - Persian speaking Shia Muslims that are from the central region of Afghanistan and northwestern Pakistan.
Naan – Iraani round flatbread
Laaf – The tendency to exaggerate
Saratan – Cancer
Sherjangi – A game called “Battle of the Poems”; Competition of poetry memorization and recitation.
Buzkashi – National sport of Afghanistan; Players on opposing teams compete to gain possession of a headless animal carcass and bring it to a scoring area. This sport is similar to Polo.
Chapandaz - Highly skilled Buzkashi horseman
Mashallah – An Arabic phrase that’s used to show appreciate for a person.
Inshallah – “If Allah wills it.”
“Some day, Inshallah, you will be a great writer,” Hassan said.
Jan- It means life