Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of ALTRUISM
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR
Love of one's neighbor is the ultimate ethical standard
Calls for self-sacrificial behavior
Means sacrificing something for someone with no expectation of compensation or benefits, either direct, or indirect
Concern for the welfare of others
Universal value promoted in cultures from all over the world
Shares much in common with virtue ethics
How Altruism Works
impossible to meet every need
failure of many who profess to love their neighbor to act as if they do
takes many different, sometimes conflicting, forms
often difficult to determine what constitutes altruistic behavior
not always easy to put into practice
Critiques of Altruism
Nelson Mandela Mahatma Gandhi
The Dalai Lama Hospice nurses Mother Teresa
The Parable of the Good Samaritan
Examples of Altruistic Leaders
5 Key Components
1. Focuses on the importance of noting and meeting the needs of those we are responsible for.
2. Values emotions.
3. Specific needs and relationships take priority above universal principles.
4. Breaks down the barriers between the public and private spheres.
5. Views persons as both relational and interdependent.
Examples of Altruistic Leader Behaviors
providing training, technical assistance, and mentoring
team building, participative group decision-making, and minority advancement programs
demonstrating commitment and loyalty, protecting organizational resources, and whistle-blowing
making contributions to promote social welfare, reducing pollution, ensuring product safety, and maintaining customer satisfaction
Rebecca Drewry, Tori Williams, Bethany Carlson,
Julia Kehoe, Natalia Gadomski, Mary Margaret Link
ancient yet contemporary
important to society leaders
powerful and inspiring
See yourself in others
Lead by example
Put people in a good mood
Help build a supportive community
How to nurture personal altruistic instincts