Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Financial Aid

No description

Pullias Center

on 8 February 2017

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Financial Aid

Financial Aid
Types of Aid
Stands for: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Eligibility Criteria :
- Demonstrate Financial Need
- US Citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Have a valid SS#
- Registered with the selective service (male students)
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment to a degree or program
- Be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for direct loan program
- Maintain good grades while in college or career school
- Sign Certification Statement
- Demonstrate you qualify to obtain a college or career education

FASA and CA Dream Act
Important forms to fill out beginning October 1, in order to qualify for financial aid. The deadline to apply is March 2!
Type of Aid you Qualify for through the FAFSA
To qualify you need to meet the AB540 criteria.

Type of Aid you qualify for through the CADA
College/University Grants
CA Dream
- Grants

- Loans

- Work-Study

- College/ University Grants

- California Community College BOG Fee Waiver


- Private Scholarships
- Cal Grants

- Chafee Grant

- Middle Class Scholarship

- College/ University Grants

- California Community College BOG Fee Waiver


- Private Scholarships

Signed to law in October 12, 2001.

This bill allows students (who before where considered non-resident and had to pay non-resident tuition), who qualify, to pay resident tuition.

To qualify you need to:
- Attend a CA High School for three years or more (9-12 grade—does not need to be consecutive.)
- Graduate from a CA High School or have attained a G.E.D.; or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE).
- Enroll or plan to enroll in an accredited and qualified California college or university
- Must file or will file an affidavit as required by individual institution

CA Dream ACT
Comprised by two laws AB 130 and 131, signed into law July 25 and October 8, 2011. Allow students who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) not issued by DACA to apply and qualify for public and private California colleges/universities grants and for state financial aid.

Information provided in this application is confidential and is not shared with federal databases.


Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Passed in June 15, 2012 which provides, for students who qualify, a work permit and also request consideration for deferred action. Granted for 2 years, needs to be renewed.

Eligibility requirements:
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16 birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;  
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Follow us on:
Pell Grant
- Federal Grant open to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need.
- Student can receive this grant for up to 12 semesters or equivalent
Student can receive up to $5,815
Cal Grant
Income Chart and Cal Grant Amount Awards
Chafee Grant and Middle Class Scholarship
Iraq and afghanistan Service Grant
- Available to "students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11" (studentaid.gov - Federal Student Grant Programs handout)
- The student must not qualify for Pell Grant in order to receive this grant
Money you DON'T have to pay back!
Direct Subsidized Loan
- Open to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need
- Student is not charged interest loan during his/her time in college.
- Once the student graduates he/she has 6mo grace period until interest starts accumulating
- Amount: Varies on the year you are attending school and receiving the loan and other criteria (US Department of Education -ED)
Direct Unsubsidized loan
- Open to undergraduate and graduate students
- Interest starts accumulating since the student takes out the loan
-Amount: Varies on the year you are attending school and receiving the loan and other criteria (US Department of Education -ED)
federal perkins loan
- Open to undergraduate and graduate students
- To be eligible for this loan, it will depend on financial need and also availability of funds from the university/college
- 9 month after you graduate to begin repayment (part-time/full-time student)
-Award: Up to $5,500 (College)

Direct plus loan
- This loan is open to the parents of the students attending college, as well as graduate students.
- Interest starts accumulating at the time the loan is taken
- They check credit history
- Amount: Cost of attendance - financial aid received.

Money you HAVE TO pay back
- Federal Program which provides part-time jobs for students.
- Students can only work 20hrs a week
- The advantage of working on campus is the work hours and also flexibility once finals or important projects are due
- You can also gain research experience and professional experience in your field of study

Cal grant a
- High School GPA 3.0 and above
- Income: Low to middle
cal grant c
- Students who attend a community college, technical or vocational school
- Income: Low to middle income

cal grant b
- High School GPA 2.0 and above
- Income: Low income
- Is the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
- It is open to undergraduates who demonstrate "exceptional financial need"
- Priority for students who receive the Pell Grant
- Depends on the college/university attending, their funding and the deadline by which you need to complete the FAFSA
- Award: Up to $4,000
- Open to undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, or graduate students who are studying to become elementary or secondary teachers.
- Award: Up to $4,000
- Need to meet certain requirements in order to receive this award. Contact your school for more details.
- In previous years students and parents would sign their FAFSA with a PIN number.
- Last year they changed this for both the students and parents
- Now they both have to create an FSA ID
- The FSA ID will ask you to create a username and password, which will now be the information the student will provide to log in to the FAFSA
- UC, CSU, private and out of state universities/colleges have their own grants (like the Blue and Gold Scholarship from the UCs)
- The amount awarded will depend on what the student reports on the financial aid form and the students' EFC.

Stands for: Expected Family Contribution
- This number will appear at the end of the form and will be used by the schools to determine how much aid they will provide the student
- Cost of Attendance (COA) - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need
Important Websites
- FAFSA Application - https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Dream Act Application -
- FSA ID -
- Cal Grant -

- http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp
- https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/
- http://e4fc.org/
- http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca
- http://maldef.org/education/public_policy/ab540/
- http://www.carecen-la.org/
- http://www.chirla.org/

- There are different scholarships
students can apply to.
- They can be merit based, based on financial need, or any talent, accomplishment, etc.
Chafee Grant
- This grant is open for students who were or still are in foster care and demonstrate financial need.
- Amount: Up to $5,000 a year
Middle Class Scholarship
- Available to undergraduate students which family income and assets of up to $$156,000

- This scholarship is only available if the student attends a CSU or UC
Full transcript