Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
LINGUISTICS AND THE COMPONENTS OF LANGUAGE
Transcript of LINGUISTICS AND THE COMPONENTS OF LANGUAGE
: Systematic study of
language, is both an academic
discipline and a field of science
that is almost three thousand years
old. Modern linguists primarily
concern themselves with either
theoretical or applied linguistics.
Their research includes many
different facets of language, from
the physical properties of the sound
waves of utterances to the social
contexts in which conversations
Is the ability to acquire and use
complex systems of communication, particularly the human ability to
do so, and a language is any
specific example of such a system.
COMPONENTS OF LANGUAGE
There are a number of components
that are universal and there are
some features that maybe unique to
• sound types: vowels, semivowels, nasals, stops
• vocal tract: lips, tongue height, points of articulation
• spectra: formants, gaps, transitional effects
Study of the
internal structure of words
set of rules, principles, and processes that govern the structure of sentences in a given language.
Sub discipline of linguistics which focuses on the study of meaning. Semantics tries to understand what meaning is as an element of language and how it is constructed by language
as well as interpreted, obscured and negotiated by speakers and listeners
Ways in which context
contributes to meaning