Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Extraordinary Guam Sites

No description
by

Risa Viray

on 9 April 2014

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Extraordinary Guam Sites

The Agana Spanish Bridge is a stone arch bridge built in the 1800 in one of the best villages no other than Agana, Guam. The unique views that the bridge holds had been kept during the administration of the spanish governor , Manuel Muro. Eventually knowing that it originally crossed the Agana River , which had been deflected , and had connect to the San Ignacio district has certainly damage by bombardment , though later the site became well known for its spectacular view and became a park that you can visit
Japanese War Guns ( Piti )
The Merizo Bell tower (Kampanayum Malesso) was fabricated in the year 1910 under the regulations of Father Cristobal de Canalas to help raise the merits of living for the people especially through protection of Merizo village. The tower was constructed with the help of cement and stones and the bell was used to publicize commited events, town meetings and mass . However no longer in use today, it has been sustained and is a well known landmark to visit when in the Southern part of Guam. This had created a better apprehension of its beauty and memorable history.
The history of Umatac is among the most rich of all the villages of Guam, especially during the Spanish era. Among other distinctions, Umatac is the home to Fouha Bay in which a rock called “Fouha” Rock sits. The ancient Chamorros believed this rock to be the resting place of a goddess called Fu’una who, with her brother Puntan, is credited with creating the world and people. The rock is also called Creation Point.The pre-contact Chamorros made a pilgrimage to the rock every year to pay homage to Fu’una and to have their rice blessed to be used to cure people according to Spanish accounts. Umatac is perhaps most famous for being the site, by long oral tradition among the Chamorros, Ferdinand Magellan first landed on Guam. Although other theories about Magellan’s landing site have arisen, the residents of Umatac still proudly celebrate Discovery Day every March 21st with a re-enactment of the 1521 landing.
Merizo Bell Tower
The War in the Pacific Park in Guam is dedicated to exploring the role of the Pacific in World War II and to commemorating those who fought in the conflict.

Until 1941, Guam had been an American colony. However, in December 1941, the Japanese attacked the island and the US was forced to give it up in what became known as the First Battle of Guam. Nevertheless, in July and August of 1944, the Americans mounted their own attack and retook the Island in the Second Battle of Guam.
Today, War in the Pacific National Park is a US site commemorating the roles played in the conflict by different nations in the Pacific Theatre, including America, Japan, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, China, the Soviet Union, France and the Netherlands. From its memorial wall at Asam Bay Overlook to the Japanese guns at Ga’an Point, War in the Pacific National Park offers a range of sites and tours exploring the site’s history in the context of the Second World War.
Front page
April 10 , 2014 . Thursday
10 sites ; 10 history
ASAN BEACH
WAR IN THE PACIFIC NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK ( ASAN )
( Hagatna )
Chief Quipuha Park
War in the Pacific National Historical Park is very rich in history especially composed of seven National Park Service sites located throughout Guam. The units are at Asan Beach, Asan Overlook, Piti Guns, Mt. Tenjo/Mt. Chachao, Apaca Point, Mount Alifan and Fonte Plateau. Within the stupendous seven park units there are natural views that capture the blink of an eye coral reefs, limestone forests, wetlands, a mahogany forest and a tropical savanna ecosystem. Activities include fishing, hiking, picnicking, snorkeling and diving. Many units also contain World War II relics, including historic structures and military equipment.

Quipuha was the Chief of Hagatna when the Jesuits led by Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores arrived in 1668. The name Kepuha or Quipuha means "To uphold". He granted the lands upon which the Basilica stands. Chief Quipuha accepted the Catholic religion and was the first Chamorro Chief to permit himself to be baptized. As Chief, or high-ranking male in the Chamorro matriarchal society of the time, Quipuha had the authority to hand down decisions with the advice and consent of the highest ranking woman in his clan. He granted the land on which the first Catholic Church in Guam was constructed. His statue today stands in Chief Quipuha Park in the center of the Hagatna traffic circle on Marine Corps Drive.

Extraordinary Guam Sites
Did You Know ? Asan Bay Overlook with its panoramic view and its Memorial Wall which link contains 16,142 names of Chamorro and American casualties who suffered or died during the war on Guam.
The first Catholic Church on Guam, the Dulce Nombre de Maria {Sweet Name of Mary} Cathedral Basilica was constructed in central Hagatna in 1669. Queen Maria Ana donated 300 pesos and Chief Kipuha of Hagatna contributed the land. The original church was constructed in 1669-1670 by Chamorro's under the direction of Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores on lands granted by Chief Quipuha, the ranking male of Hagatna at that time. This structure survived until World War II when it was destroyed during the shelling of Hagatna in preparation for the American invasion. The present church was constructed on the original site in 1955-1959.
Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral-Basilica
Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores
Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores led the Jesuit missionaries who arrived on Guam in 1668.In 1672, Padre San Vitores and his Filipino assistant were killed by Chief Mata'pang of Tumon for baptizing the Chief's baby girl at the mother's request, but without the Chief's consent. The death of Padre San Vitores lead to all-out war that nearly resulted in extinction of the Chamorro race. The Catholic Church however continued to exert considerable influence over the people of Guam. Padre San Vitores Road in Tumon bears his name. A shrine and statue of Padre San Vitores baptizing the Chief's daughter, with the mother and sword wielding Chief standing over them, stands at the location of the slaying between the Guam Reef Hotel and Sails restaurant. The Statue of Padre San Vitores, above left, stands in the courtyard of the Tumon Catholic Church on San Vitores Road.
Cetti Bay Overlook
Cetti Bay and the chain of a thousand foothills are part of Guam’s Territorial Seashore Park. The area is generally considered a geological delight with the rock formation providing clues to the volcanic origins of southern Guam. The twin hills below the Cetti Bay Overlook and to the north, called Attelong Acho, or Black Rock, are examples of pillow lava formed underwater during ancient volcanic eruptions. To the south in the distance Cocos Island can bee seen just off Merizo village.
The coastal area around Cetti Bay has been inhabited by Chamorros for approximately 3,000 years. Latte stones and pottery shards provide the evidence. The Spanish later created a road system which followed the coastline from Hagatna, south through Cetti Bay to Umatac. The slopes are covered with grassland, savanna, coconut trees and a ravine forest which hides the Cetti Waterfall. Cetti Bay is on the Guam and National Registers of Historic Places
Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad was one of the last Spanish Forts constructed in the 19th Century in support of the Spanish Galleon trade. Sitting on the cliff just to the South of Umatac, Fort Soledad has a commanding view of the Bay and all Ocean approaches. The Fort was restored in 1995 and today the cannon of Fort Soledad still point out over the Pacific Ocean and Umatac Bay where Magellan landed in 1521 to make the first contact between Guam and the West.For 250 years, beginning around 1565, Spanish galleons sailed yearly from Acapulco, Mexico to Manila in the Philippines and return. The only replenishment stop for these Acapulco galleons on the long voyage was Umatac Bay. From 1680 to 1810, the Spanish built four fortifications at Umatac to protect the anchorage from pirates and privateers.Governor Alexandro Parreno constructed the final Spanish fortification on Guam and the last of the four Spanish fortifications in Umatac, Fort Nuestra de la Soledad, Our Lady of Solitude. The Fort was constructed of mamposteria on Mount Chalan Ahiti consisting of a barbeta for mounting seven guns, quarters for the soldiers, and an arsenal.
Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad
Spanish Bridge ( Hagatna) San Antonio
Sella Bay
This beautiful and remote bay was the site of a leper colony during Spanish colonial times. A Spanish bridge and oven built in the 19th century are located near the Sella Bay site and along the coast. From the roadside lookout along Route 4 near Umatac Village, it is about a 30 to 45 minute hike to the Spanish bridge.
Umatac Bay
Riezzalyn Viray ( Writer & Editor )

Sirena Rayphand ( Organizer , Writer & Planner )
Reona Palacios ( Organizer & Plan Maker )
Bye (:
Darwin Viray ( Funny Driver )
Big Credits to Rayphand Family
In 1892, Asan Beach was the site of a Leper Colony, which was utilized for eight years until it was destroyed by a typhoon. Then in 1901 this land turned into a prison camp for exiled Filipino insurrectionists. They believed the United States should not take over the Philippines. Apolonario Mabini was the most famous of the 42 imprisoned and is still considered a Philippine hero. The monument you see today honors their sacrifice. In 1917 the U.S. declared war on Germany. A German cruiser, the SMS Cormoran had been docked in Apra Harbor for 3 years and subsequently the U.S. Naval authorities demanded surrender and imprisoned the enlisted men of the ship here at Asan Point. In 1922, Asan Point became a U.S. Marine Corp Camp with a quartermaster depot, a small arms range, and barracks.The Asan Beach Unit contains many historic resources preserved from the war. There are numerous Japanese pillboxes located at Adelup Point. At Asan Beach, on the backside of the point two Japanese gun emplacements have been reinforced with metal beams. These gun emplacements housed 20 cm coastal guns, of which one gun base remains today. At the tip of the point is the Liberator's Memorial. This structure was erected in 1994, to honor all US forces involved in the recapture of Guam. The Liberator's Memorial was dedicated by the National Association of Uniformed Services and the Third Marine Division Association, Guam Branch on the 50th anniversary of the Liberation of Guam. Along the beach there are two Mabini monuments honoring the exiled Filipinos. Next is the Monument for the 3rd Marine Division erected on site by the Third Marine Division Association. The US Landing Monument is also along the beach and is dedicated to the men who fought here. The Asan Ridge contains numerous pillboxes, caves and tunnels.
The bridge has survived floods, high surf and war. For 150 years the bridge welcomed lumbering caribao families in wooden carts, barefooted skipping children, strolling mestiza clad women, marching uniformed military men and the baker pulling his bread wagon. When the Americans rebuilt Hagatna after World War II, the river was diverted, creating a park around the war-damaged bridge. Over the years it has been partially restored.

Similar stone bridges were part of the Camino Real, the important Spanish coastal road south of Umatac. The San Antonio Bridge is on the Guam and National Registers of Historic Places.
The tower is significant for association with a Catholic priest, Father Cristobal de Canals, who built the bell tower and a church and took many steps to promote agriculture and raise the standard of living in the village of Merizo. Architecturally, the tower symbolizes transition between colonial Spanish architecture and more modern methods; a major element of its design is its massing.
The Piti Guns unit is the site of three Vickers type Model 3 140mm coastal defense guns. The Japanese manufactured these Model 3 coastal defense guns in 1914. During the Japanese Occupation from 1941-1944, the Japanese built up defensive positions on Guam. The Chamorro population was forced to work in building up these defenses, and did so here at Piti Guns. Imagine if you can the dense vegetation that existed here at the time and how hard it would have been to not only hike up the side of this steep terrain but also carry thousands of pounds of steel.
These guns were strategically placed in what was in 1944 a village consisting mostly of rice paddies. This area was chosen with consideration to the firing range of the guns. These guns have a firing range of close to 10 miles and were intended for use against ships and landing craft. When the United States Armed Forces came to retake the island on July 21, 1944 these guns were not fully operational. Consequently, not one of the three coastal defense guns was ever fired. But, these guns are representative of the type of weapons used by the Japanese on Guam for the fortification efforts.It's specialties lie beneath the weapons left behind to show our consideration to them.
One of the most well-known scenic points of Guam is the Cetti Bay Overlook on the southwest side of the island. The surrounding foothills and Cetti Bay are part of Guamʼs Territorial Seashore Park. The overlook gives a view of the volcanic rock that comprises most of southern Guam, especially the pillow lava formations of Attelong Acho, or Black Rock, to the north. In the distance looking southward, Cocos Island, or Dano, which lies off the coast of Merizo village, can be seen. Because of its cultural and historical significance, Cetti is on Guamʼs and the National Register of Historic Places.

Cetti, however, is one of the hardest sites to reach by foot. It is the second bay that lies north of Umatac village, and is probably easiest to get to by boat when the waters are calm. To access the bay by land, one must hike along the shore north from Umatac or the south shore from Sella Bay. Both require considerable climbing. Hiking from Umatac requires attention to tides, as well, especially between Fouha Bay and Cetti, where there is a narrow reef backed by a hundred-foot cliff that can only be crossed at low tide. Halfway between Fouha and Cetti is a stream of fresh water that is drinkable.
In the latter part of the seventeenth century, as the fervor of the Spanish empire’s expansionism to gain global and economic power and Christian conversion spread, San Vitores came to Guam and established the first Catholic Church in the Marianas, altering the social, cultural and religious landscape of the fifteen-island archipelago.
Throughout his missionary efforts, the people of Guam and the Mariana Islands took part in events that transformed their island into the first permanent European Christian settlement in Oceania. Hagåtña became the first European city after the establishment of colonial government and hosted the beginnings of an European educational system on Guam. The Chamorros survived a massive cultural upheaval as many traditional institutions and cultural practices were eradicated and others adapted to Catholic institutions and Spanish cultural practices.

Fort Nuestra Señora de la Soledåd, or Fort Soledad, the last of four Spanish fortifications built in the village of Umatac, is located atop a steep bluff called Chalan Aniti, or Path of the Ancestors. The fort provides a superior view of the village, the bay, the rugged coastline, and the imposing southern mountain range. The fort was constructed to strengthen the defenses of Guam’s most prominent Spanish-era bay.

Umatac Bay served as an important supply station for ships crossing the vast Pacific Ocean during the era of the Acapulco-Manila galleon trade (1565-1815). With an increasing number of non-Spanish ships sailing through the Pacific in the last half of the eighteenth century, it became necessary to protect Spanish interests on the island. Fort Soledad helped to strengthen flaws of the other forts built along Umatac’s coastline. Fort Santo Angel, located on the opposite side of the bay, was built in 1756 and had been badly damaged from years of pounding waves. Governor Alexandro Parreño (1806-1812) determined that the foundation supporting the fort was unsafe and had the fort dismantled. Fort San Jose, despite being newly constructed in 1805, was positioned too far north to adequately protect the entrance of the bay.
The pre-contact Chamorros made a pilgrimage to the rock every year to pay homage to Fu’una and to have their rice blessed to be used to cure people according to Spanish accounts. Umatac is perhaps most famous for being the site, by long oral tradition among the Chamorros, Ferdinand Magellan first landed on Guam. Although other theories about Magellan’s landing site have arisen, the residents of Umatac still proudly celebrate Discovery Day every March 21st with a re-enactment of the 1521 landing.
Chief Kepuha died in 1669 of natural causes. Under the insistence of Padre San Vitores, he became the first Chamorro buried at the church site despite protests by Chamorro leaders who desired a traditional burial. This caused resentment among the Chamorros contributing to the outbreak of war within two years. A second Chief Kepuha, relative of the elder Juan Kepuha, would lead attacks against the Spanish and head negotiations.

Through Kepuha, the Spanish successfully established a strong foothold in the Marianas for the Manila Galleon Trade. Today the chief is honored by Chief Quipuha Park in Hagåtña and is considered a great Chamorro leader. In 1990, Ricardo Bordallo, former governor of Guam, committed suicide by chaining himself to a statue of Kepuha in the park and shooting himself. We honor him for his stupednous bravery and the sacrifices made and for every eye catch and prayers we look upon is statue.
This mother church of the Archdiocese of Agaña is one of the few churches to hold two special titles (Cathedral and Basilica).

A cathedral is the central and most important church of a diocese and the “home church” of the bishop.

A basilica is an important church building designated by the Pope to buildings with special spiritual, historical and architectural significance in which features also newly-constructed gift that expose true importance withing the church.
Likes : Beautiful scenery and machinery.
Dislikes: None.
Likes : The amazing park right next to the spanish bridge as well as the bridge itself.

Dislikes : The scenery of the highway -_-
Likes : the sea from behind ; The scenery from upfront.
Dislikes : The expectation of the Bell Tower
Likes : The War Guns and mahagony trees
Dislikes : Steep walks TIRING -_-
Likes : The beautiful Rocks and the sea scenery.
Dislikes : None
Likes : The Big Statue and Park overlook
Dislikes : The Crosswalk and location.
Likes : The Cathedral , the location as well as artifacts
Dislikes : none
Likes : The statue and the great pattern within the church
Dislikes : small spaces , not spacious enough.
Likes : The beautiful scenery of hills and mountains
Dislikes : Nothing
Likes : The small concrete building and fort , as well as the cannons.
Dislikes : none
Full transcript