Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Evolution of a Hedgehog
Transcript of Evolution of a Hedgehog
Members of Erinaceidae family
Shows little change during last 15 million years
Habits and features still a mystery to science
Scientific name- Erinaceinae
By: Caitlyn and Maddie
German fossil-hunter (Klaus-Dieter Weiß) finds ancient hedgehog
quills to repel predators
curl up in a ball when startled
Litolestes and leipsanolestes, oncocherus, cedrocherus, deinogalerix
Evolution remains mystery to science
Litolestes and Leipsanolestes
oldest known ancestor
lived in Paleocene period
65.5-66 million years ago
fossils found in Montana and Wyoming
Late Paleocene period
55.8-58.7 million years ago
fossils found in western Canada
two species (cedrocherus ryani and cedrocherus aceratus)
means "terrible hedgehog"
lived in modern day Italy
late Miocene period
11.6-5.3 million years ago
had hair instead of quills
fed on insects