Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Innovation Fund - Merriman 2013/2014
Transcript of Innovation Fund - Merriman 2013/2014
Innovation Fund - Amanda Merriman 2013/2014
My idea in general
I would like to provide instructional technologies to connect and utilize the variety of Google tools available to staff and students. My focus has always been on student achievement and promoting STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics). It is more important than ever to promote these skills with our students in order to inspire future careers in STEM. My proposal will not only help students, but will also connect teachers together through technology.
Goal 1 - STEM for Students
I would like to have an Android tablet to mirror (display) up on my Smartboard in order to utilize a variety of learning tools and applications together with my class.
This will open a world of opportunities to:
demonstrate a variety of apps and tools to my students
make the Smartboard more interactive for students by allowing them to manipulate it from their seats
help me to be able to work from anywhere in my classroom during lessons
Innovation Fund Focus
Student focused learning
- Students will be able to interact more during lessons and it will be very helpful for tactile and visual learners. STEM concepts will be made apparent and provide inspiration and guidance for future studies and careers.
- Teachers will be able to connect and collaborate easily and students will be able to interact with educators and STEM mentors from around the world!
- Embracing technology and using it as a classroom tool will help me to differentiate and support a wide variety of learners.
- I have a HUGE passion for STEM, especially science. I love what I teach because when I see the world around me I see it through "lab goggles" where there is always a teachable moment I can share with my class. These technologies will help me share current events, technologies, and the wonders for the world around us! STEM is designed to ignite the passion for learning in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and I am excited to share this with my students and peers.
Managing resources responsibly
- I decided that rather than asking for a class set of iPads I would keep it simple and use one tablet that I can mirror on to our Smartboard screen. It is much more cost efficient and easier to maintain.
What exactly is STEM?
"This approach to education is designed to revolutionize the teaching of subject areas such as mathematics and science by incorporating technology and engineering into regular curriculum by creating a “meta-discipline.”
There is more; STEM Education attempts to transform the typical teacher-centered classroom by encouraging a curriculum that is driven by problem-solving, discovery, exploratory learning, and require students to actively engage a situation in order to find its solution."
Mirror tablet to Smartboard
Help students interact more during lessons
Promote STEM and get kids excited about it!
What can the tablet do?
There are apps and activities for each topic I teach that I can display for my students on the Smartboard as opposed to the high cost of having a class set of devices. I can pass the tablet from student to student and have them participate in lessons and virtual demonstrations in both math and science.
Here are a few more examples.
Our district uses GShare/Google in so many creative and innovative ways that I use as often as possible. This makes Android tablets preferable as they are very Google friendly, less costly, and are easy to integrate along with a variety of technologies and teaching strategies I already use. I plan on using the tablet to be able to display, share, and use these technologies live during lessons along with my students. This includes using Google Chrome, Google Drive (sharing documents and assignments), Google Forms, Google Earth, Blogger, our class Google Calendar and more. I also would like to use Class Dojo to help with classroom management.
See how we already use some of these technologies on my blog
GOAL 2 - For Teachers
I would also like to propose that we buy a web-camera for every teacher in the school so that we can use Google Hangouts to connect. We would be able to collaborate from across the school and even across the district and work with a broader PLC (Professional Learning Community). This could also lead to future initiatives to connect all of BGRS.
Also there are many online learning opportunities where a web-camera is essential like Virtual Schools, video conferencing and Skype in the Classroom who offer free opportunities to Skype with educators, scientists, and other classrooms throughout the world!
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
On October 31st we will be Skyping with the North Carolina Aquarium about sea turtles and aquatic conservation for our ecology unit in science 7
STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
I also have arranged for our entire school to participate in the National Film Board's Chris Hadfield Space School where we have studied Commander Hadfield and will be able to hear him speak live!
Cost is calculated using BestBuy.Ca and includes tax and delivery.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 32GB Android 4.0 Tablet With Exynos 4412 Processor + 2 year extended warranty - $631.24
Otterbox Defender Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Grip Case (ZORC5511BK) - $75.58
Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 Webcam - $41.99 each x 26 teachers - 1091.74
TOTAL - $1798.56
Click to play