Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Word Parts
What is a root word? A root is a word or word base from which other words are made by adding a prefix or a suffix. Knowing the common roots can help you figure out the meaning of difficult words. aud - hear or listen
chron –- time
flex –- body
dem –- people
man –- hand
tele –- over a long distance, far
zoo - animals Examples of root words: What are some words we can make by using roots? aud -
zoo - What is a suffix? A suffix is a word part that is added AFTER a word. Sometimes a suffix will tell you what part of speech a word is.
able - can do
ly - in some manner
er - one who
less - without
ology - study Examples of suffixes: What suffix(es) do parts of speech end in? Verbs: ed, ing, s
Nouns: tion, er, or, sion, ty, ness
Adjectives: er, est How do I learn the meanings of words by breaking them into parts or dissecting the word? 1) Try to read the word.
2) Look for recognizable word parts (suffixes, roots, prefixes)
3) Separate the words into their parts.
4) Think about the meaning of the word parts
5) Speculate what the vocabulary word that comes from these parts could mean. What are some resources for checking the meaning of words? Write a summary! What should we know about English vocabulary? 70% of our English vocabulary is derived or comes from Greek and Latin words Latin and Greek words have become the building blocks of our language. By learning word parts (prefixes, roots and suffixes) we can begin to decode words and understand their meaning. What is a prefix? Thesaurus Internet Dictionary