Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Drugs
What is a drug ?
Different legislations in Europe
Let's talk about drugs...
Drugs in western cultures
The history of drugs
Illegal way of using
Even though drugs alleviate pain, they are also very dangerous for health when abused. That is why many countries forbid their consumption besides for medicine.
Drugs are something huge, there are everywhere around us and have a strong impact on our society.
We have to be careful about their drawbacks, there is an inherent danger of addiction.
Any chemical substance that causes a change in a person's physical or psychological state.
Drugs in various cultures
• Drugs in History
• Today, in western civilization
• Differences between countries
• Boost human capacities
• General meaning
• Production and places of sale
• Different uses of psychoactive drugs
• A general meaning
In english, the term drug is used to mean medicaments.
Drugs have been used in medication for thousands years.
• Indians had been making drugs by mixing some plants to cure themselves well before the development of the pharmacy.
• An over-sold product
Drugs are sold in pharmacy.
Last year in France, 3.1 billion boxes of drugs were sold.
Drugs are made in aggregated laboratories such as GlaxoSmithKline © (GB) or Novartis International AG© (Switzerland).
To escape from real life
Why escape from this world ?
• Forget work problems
• Forget love problems
• Forget sadness
• Realize some dreams
• Have fun
To follow a state of mind
State of mind ?
• New Age
• Other Gurus
A kind of neopaganism born in the 80s : extoll drug consumption.
Clothe to the nature, hippies are well known on their astronomic consumption of the several drugs.
Aleister Crowley recommends sex, drugs and rites to Satan.
To improve abilities
Who needs it ?
• People who don't sleep enough (due to a heavy workload, for example).
• People who need to be very mentally efficient or creative.
• People who are run down physically.
Chocolate, tea and coffee (legal)
Guarana (energetic drinks)
1956 : discovering of the helical geometry of DNA by Watson and Crick (LSD).
Sportsmen and sportswomen because they could earn a lot of money thanks to drugs.
Different uses of psychoactive drugs in medication
• What is a psychoactive drug ?
- "It's a drug which crosses the blood-brain barrier and acts on the central nervous system" [Wikipedia]
Some researchs are carried out on effects of psychoactive drugs for medication.
• Anti-depressant (Imipramine)
• Anti-psychotic : Cure schizophrenia
• Anxiolitycs : treat anxiety disorders
and many others types :
Hypnotives, sedatives, narcotic...
Opioids and amphetamin have been used for decades by a lot of people for medication but were restricted after 1950s.
• Analgesic : Cure pain (Codeine)
• Stimulant : cure deficit disorder, narcolepsy (Nicotine, Amphetamine)
• Depressant : Cure insomnia (ethanol, cannabinoids)
• Anti-dependance (methadone)
• Anesthesics (Nitrous Oxide)
"We can define a drug as being a substance which may have medicinal, intoxicating, performance enhancing or other effects when taken or put into the human body" [Wikipedia]
Mass consumption began with gin during the 18th century
A minimum age is required.
It's a problem recognized by many countries
"In France, 53 liters of wine are drunk per person, per year. " [ladepeche.fr]
Caffeine is classified by the food and drug administration as a GRAS (generally recognized as safe)
More consumed in northern countries
Ever increasing consumption
Drugs are made using a chemical process in these laboratories. The cost of creating a new one is between millions and billions dollars, few big firms can create advanced drugs.
Contain nicotine, which is a highly addictive drug.
200 deaths/day in France due to tobacco.
First drug :
Beginning with medicinal medecine, with marijuana in China
First legal measures against drugs in the United States
What do you mean ?
A Big deal
Domestication of the vine
Amsterdam is well known for its cannabis legislation.
The old tradition of the "Peace pipe"
Legislation in the USA is pretty rough
Not accepting to drink is impolite
Singapore has one of the more rough drug legislation in the world
Hard workers in coal mines, in the building industry, in plants...
anabolistic, pain killers, steroids...
Of course, there is a lucrative parallel circuit. What are the reasons why people should take illegal drugs ?
Syd Barrett : first Pink Floyd songwriter was very creative.
Youngsters : love doing fest and getting high.
Cannabis and cocaine are the most widely used drugs during parties .
To be an awesome person.
To have a trip.
To show your potency.
"Peace and love"
"Make love not war"
It's relatively easy to find and buy drugs in a pharmacy, some are purchasable without prescription.
Safe trip !