Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Knots & links
Transcript of Knots & links
1. Posing the right questions
2. Real world → math formulation
4. Back to reality, verification
IREM de Lyon
Pedro Lealdino F.
Université Claude Bernard
Institut Camille Jordan
Modelling and Mathematics
Lady of Shalott
© Yann Pineill & Nicolas Lefaucheux
© Cédric Villani
What are you dealing with?
What is the universe?
What are the relationships?
Alfred Lord Tennyson
by William Maw Egley
Horst.Burkhardt - Waldir - wikimedia CC BY SA
What is math?
math >> computation
> ≠ =
If you don't use it, please don't mention it...
make genuine choices that matter
Nobody likes to be wrong. There is not a unique model for a situation.
Abstraction is not the problem, reality is messy, simplifying it means making choices.
Create a world for your situation, give names to your creation.
What are the rules in your game? How do we get around your world?
Maths week 2017, Dublin
© Trinity college
© Luckyfish http://www.art-tattoo.com/
Andreas F. Borchert CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Maths of XXI: graph, algorithmic, fuzzy logic, information
mining, game theory